DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Renting a property in Nice.- Guidance welcomed

Posted by johnmartin3972 - Created: 6 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Ras-214972 - 6 years ago

Do you have necessary proof of salary that is 3x the monthly rent? If so, then it should not be necessary for the 1 year deposit. If your rent is higher than a third of your monthly salary, that is where you might hit some problem.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Goupil-198464 - 6 years ago

No It is not legal. Normally it is 1 month payment in advance. 1 month deposit, and the agent fee (sometime 1 month)

You could add an inventory "état des lieux" by a "huissier" to be on the safe side so it is easier to retrieve your deposit at the end.
PS you can leave any time provide you give I think 3 month notice
Cheers

Sorry no image available
Posted by cheryl-180648 - 6 years ago

Hello John,

Erm welcome to France. We may be in the EU, but you will find that France is definitely for the French. Yes I have heard of this before, we were also asked for a year's rent up front...we decided it was actually cheaper/more sensible to borrow that deposit and pay notaire's fee and buy an apt! Some people may say this is illegal to block the money for a year, but it does go on. Good luck!

Cheryl

Sorry no image available
Posted by LouiseLL - 6 years ago

I have always paid a guarantee but not one year's equivalent of rent! I think it was always two or three months' equivalent. One year sounds exorbitantly high! You could call up a few other agents and see what they say...