DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Renting in France

Posted by verbier - Created: 5 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

3 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 3)

Sorry no image available
Posted by laughingboy-409220 - 5 years ago

sorry meant CDDs are often not accepted, if you are lucky enough to have a CDI it will normally be accepted.

Sorry no image available
Posted by laughingboy-409220 - 5 years ago

It's because tenants have so much protection under French law, rental contracts are for 3 years and it is very difficult to evict a tenant even if they stop paying the rent, So this is a normal requirement if you try to rent through an agency or a professional landlord. Unless you are employed in France on a permanent contract they will insist on the guarantee or lump sum deposit, even a CDI often won't be accepted. I planned to rent initially but gave up and bought in the end, it seemed simpler!

Sorry no image available
Posted by IoanaB - 5 years ago

Emma, I'm afraid it is impossible. I faced the same problem for 1 year and I live and work in France but I wanted a big apartment and according to them I didn't have enough incom to be able to rent one (as the rent must represent 35% of your income) so not having someone as a guarant (french with a french account and working in France) I had to take a "caution bancaire" and block one year of rent in a bank account.

Forget the agencys. May be you are more succesfull looking for an apartment here on angloinfo and explaining your situation to the land lords (if they are foreigners, they might understand better your situation)

Best regards

Ioana