DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Reporting Lottery Frauds, 419 scams to Netscape

Posted by MikeP-180526 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 13 years ago

Thanks Mike,  but I seem to recall that last time I used that one, (which is odd as all emails are from xxx@netscape.net) it bounced with a message saying user mailbox full.  Considering the number of scammers using Netscape that doesn't surprise me!

I'll try again .......

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 13 years ago

According to:

http://isp.netscape.com/help/contact.jsp

It's abuse@netscape.com

Mike

Sorry no image available

I am still trying to find an answer to my original question ......

HOW DOES ONE REPORT SCAMS AND ABUSE TO NETSCAPE ?

I have just received another slew of fraudulent emails, all with Netscape email addresses.

The response when I send them to abuse@netscape.net is

ncwmabuse@netscape.com

550 Recipient Rejected: This user does not have an account here

Sorry no image available

The best resource regarding scams that I have found is probably this one :

www.419legal.org

Sorry no image available

None of the above answers my questions,  but I can answer some of yours.

Most of the Lottery Frauds come from the Netherlands and can be reported to the following address :

financiele-expertise@amsterdam.politie.nl

In addition, and I am sure you know this, they should be reported to the email provider, e.g abuse@hotmail.com.  Some (such as Hotmail, Mail.com, Outblaze and Yahoo) are very quick to respond and close them down.  Others, such as Zwallet and Netscape, are appalling,  which to my way of thinking is a tacit way of condoning the abuse.

Those with a South African connection can be reported to :

hq.commercial@saps.org.za for the attention of Supt Schambriel.

There are further contact details here although some are out of date.

http://www.419fraud.com/419_contacts.htm

Here's a good way of getting back at the ones that want to send you a forged cheque or bank draft.  Play them along and get them to send it to :

Mr. P. Leesmann (or Mr. A. Copper)c/o The Copper Emporium(your local police station's address here) And in order to minimise your exposure,  don't put your email address on websites (even reputable ones like Angoinfo) because these scum have web robots that 'trawl' for email addresses, and don't click on 'remove me' links when you get unsolicited junk emails.  This of course doesn't apply to those from reputable companies of whom you might be a customer, but to those offering you 'body part' enlargements, drugs, fake varsity degrees .......... etc.  

Sorry no image available
Posted by Barney Gumble - 13 years ago

There's another way of getting back at these scammers: go to google and type "419eater", you'll find a website started up by a guy who's decided to beat them at their own game by pretending to fall into their trap. He even pursuaded one conman into sending him some money (apparently any cash he does get from these people is given to a charity).

Sorry no image available
Posted by Theswan-186225 - 13 years ago

Like you Mike, I am sick to the back teeth of these scams and am interested to know where they can be reported.

Also, I have been contacted on several occasions by email and telephone for car and property purchase related scams. How do I report these?

I don`t think the local police would be too bothered. The people contacting me have had Dutch, Swiss and Italian mobile numbers. Is there some EU fraud division or whatever that may be interested in the details?

Merci

Tim

Sorry no image available

abuse@netscape.com also doesn't go through (before anyone comes up with that suggestion!)