DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Restless legs syndroma

Posted by monique-187849 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by dexter-189875 - 14 years ago

hitry looking at your diet, it could be food sensitivities. I know it sounds silly but I had ME for years and then I when I found out that I had food sensitivities and changed my diet, most of the symptoms went away. I used to have this same problem with the legs and still do if I have eaten the"wrong" food.......I follow an eating plan which is based on blood type and YES it does work!

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 14 years ago

Dunno if this is telling grandma how to suck eggs, but have you read the information on the Restless Legs Syndrome Foundation's website?

Apologies if I'm just stating the bleeding obvious...

Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by Chatterbox-190278 - 14 years ago

Hi,

It doesn't say alot about RLS in my medical book but does mention that it runs in families, also that high caffeine consuption, smoking and pregnancy may aggravate the conditon so try avoiding triggers. Suggested treatments are exercise, cooling or warming the legs.

Best wishes

Sally

Sorry no image available
Posted by theresponsibleadult-188195 - 14 years ago

Monique,

I hadn't actually given my apparent connection between really strong exercise and the symptoms decreasing any thought until I read your post this morning.  I have only been stair-stepping for the last 2 months because my gym here doesn't have an elliptical machine which is what I was using for 2 years previous.

But with both machines, I do a workout which really strains me and leaves my knees knocking together like a new born deer.  Perhaps, that part is the key?

Sorry no image available
Posted by monique-187849 - 14 years ago

Hi t-r-a

I do aerobics, line-dancing and swimming once a week. I also ride on my excersicing bike from time to time. Have never tried a stepper though.

I know it is hereditary, my aunt has the same problem.

monica

Sorry no image available
Posted by theresponsibleadult-188195 - 14 years ago

First, let me offer my sympathies.  I, my mother, brother and two daughters all have a very similar problem.

I would ask you, what kind of exercise have you tried.  I found that when I did a lot of ordinary walking the symptoms were indeed much worse, but now that I regularly work out fairly hard (1/2 hour for a 1 K vertical climb) on a stair stepping machine, I hardly ever have the problem.

Wishing you sucess in any case...