DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Salt Water Swimming Pools

Posted by wbrooh-196058 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0

I wish to find out more about salt "filtering" rather than sand for the swimming pool.Does anyone out there have any info or a contact to discuss this? Thanks

Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by harpo-187362 - 13 years ago

I changed from chlorine to salt 4 years ago and would never go back!  My pool maintenance is now minimal, probably 3 sacks of salt each springtime and a bidon of PH minus fluid (I also put in an automatic monitor for ph which adds the fluid as and when needed.

Apart from the occasional cleanup after the 'sand rains' I just put my feet up and leave the pool to itself.

I haven't changed the electrodes yet, my installer said they could last up to ten years without replacement.

The install was done by Avantage Service Piscine in Biot, not sure if they can describe it all in English.  Excellent price and service.

cheers

andy

Sorry no image available
Posted by harpo-187362 - 13 years ago

I changed from chlorine to salt 4 years ago and would never go back!  My pool maintenance is now minimal, probably 3 sacks of salt each springtime and a bidon of PH minus fluid (I also put in an automatic monitor for ph which adds the fluid as and when needed.

Apart from the occasional cleanup after the 'sand rains' I just put my feet up and leave the pool to itself.

I haven't changed the electrodes yet, my installer said they could last up to ten years without replacement.

The install was done by Avantage Service Piscine in Biot, not sure if they can describe it all in English.  Excellent price and service.

cheers

andy

Sorry no image available
Posted by Andy G-190935 - 13 years ago

a good guide here:

http://www.poolcenter.com/poolcare.htm

some info about the salt water chlorinator cells here:

http://www.uq.net.au/~zzjbrait/

and some FAQs here

http://www.faqfarm.com/Home/Pool/11671

Sorry no image available
Posted by davidl-181802 - 13 years ago

4-1 Gallettes are the tablets of long duration chlorine with added floculant, algacide and (I think) stabilizer. Used in normal chlorine swimming pools to keep them clean.
***Google is our friend. ***

Sorry no image available
Posted by wbrooh-196058 - 13 years ago

Heck folks....now I am thankful to you all for taking the trouble...but still a little (?) confused!! And 4in1 gallettes? IanF.

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 13 years ago

Salt electrolysis is eco-friendly.  Like many eco-friendly systems, you pay more and you need to be prepared to accept less.  I'm not saying it is bad - just that you need to be prepared to fund the perceived benefits.

As per previous post, it is NOT a filtering system.  You still need a regular filter which operates at the physical particle level rather than the chemical level.

Sorry no image available
Posted by sheila bardon - 13 years ago

We too have abandonned our salt water system & now use the 4 in 1 gallettes and although the water may not feel "softened" it has certainly been easier to keep it crystal clear. Honestly don't think the system was worth the extra cost - especially when the cell is 700euros to replace.sheila

Sorry no image available
Posted by Andy G-190935 - 13 years ago

Are you sure you mean salt water filtering, or do you mean to salt water sterilising by electrolisis. I have a salt water pool. It works by passing the water through a tube containing two electrodes, when electrical current passes through the salt solution it makes chlorine gas which sterilises the water in the same way as adding a chlorine additive. This means that you can add less chemicals to the water, but You will need to add flockulant and and algicide, and you still need a sand filled filter to filter out the dirt and solid deposits etc.

I abandoned my salt water system this year because I found it a bit of a pain to maintain the salt levels and replace the electrodes regularly. I have simply been putting in 4-in-1 treatment tablets each week instead and I find that much easier. The pool is fine and doesn't sting my eyes or turn my hair green or anything.  

Sorry no image available
Posted by wbrooh-196058 - 13 years ago

Thanks fellas for taking the time to reply...very handy.Istill think I need a chat with someone who has had a swimming pool converted AND someone who has no agenda in selling the product to me (or not)Thanks again.....................IanF.

Sorry no image available
Posted by mmclean66 - 13 years ago

We have a salt filtering pool vs chlorine. It's much lower maintenance, although only having bought the house last year we're still learning. The best person we know is our builder who built and installed ths system. He's very French, no English at all but wouldn't mind talking to you I'm sure. Would this be helpful?