DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Sattelite Navigation

Posted by La Bonne Vie-193218 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by jonboy-191946 - 14 years ago

Hi Tony,

What pda do you use?  Is Tom Tom as good as is said to be?  I had a Garmin system to avoid conflict with navigator (wife) but it was not very good.  Too fiddly and difficult to view the screen on the move (no voice guidance).  Despite having it in the car we still managed on two different occasions to mistakenly drive into the centre of Paris in the rush hour (with ensuing row) whilst trying to bypass the city on our drive south.  My wife now has no confidence in sat nav systems.  We bought it particularly for the Paris bypass problem.  Would it guide us effortlessly around the outside of Paris on our route south?

Regarding the use of sat nav in an Espace please note that the windsreen incorporates a film that prevents reception.  You have to have an external antenna or fix it to the small square behind the mirror.

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

I have been very happy using the TomTom navigation software on a Pocket PC PDA.  It gives you point to point navigation with a moving map and voice directions, and it quickly recalculates if you make a wrong turning.  If you find the road is blocked, or you think you know a better shortcut, you can just turn off and it will try and find a new route.

You can take the PDA with you to prepare trips.

You can also get it to synchronise with a database of speed cameras....

If you already have a PDA, the software and GPS kit costs about 300 EUR. Lots of stores sell packages with a PDA and the software for less than 700 EUR.

TomTom has also announced an integrated solution for about 800EUR, it may be easier to use if you dont want a PDA but I dont know if it synchronises with camera databases.

www.tomtom.com

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by La Bonne Vie-193218 - 14 years ago

for a renault espace carPB

Sorry no image available
Posted by dublinmike-182617 - 14 years ago

Maybe one would help me find my keys!

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

What do you want to use it for? 

In the car? boat? aircraft? mountain bike? hiking?

Tony