DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

searching for mains water leak

Posted by sheila bardon - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

Does anyone know of a firm that will trace & repair an underground water leak from the mains?

The leak is after the meter so the waterboard won't touch it, the firm in Cannes that advertises in the Yellow Pages will only deal with above ground clearly visible leaks (well so can I!!!!)........

Water meter spinning like a proverbial dervish

HELP!!!!

sheila

Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Humptydingo-180377 - 14 years ago

Just a suggestion - If the water meter is spinning that fast then there will surely be signs somewhere between the meter and where the water comes into the house.  Look around the garden and you should find a puddle or very wet area which in this current dry climate would most definitely indicate the leak.  If it's been leaking for a while then you will see the vegetation will be green in contrast to the scorched areas.  Good Luck 

Sorry no image available
Posted by davidl-181802 - 14 years ago

yep - 300meters would be way too much. I was lucky ours was about 50meters on the flat.

Sorry no image available
Posted by sheila bardon - 14 years ago

The stopcock has been turned off just before the meter as the leak is between it and the house and whilst your advice is sound & I fully agree with everything you have written David, it wouldn't be practical to go & buy 300metres of piping to make a temporary above ground connection from the water meter, nor indeed dig a 300metre long trench (uphill!), I was hoping to find a firm that had a minature camera system that they could feed up the exsisting pipe and discover where the leak was. They do exist as we used one in the UK when we had a similar problem.sheila

Sorry no image available
Posted by davidl-181802 - 14 years ago

I think the first thing you need to do is stop the mains water. Then go to a Bricolage and get enough pipe to temporarily connect from the stopcock to the house - you can run the pipe work the ground. This will at least get you up and running without leaks. After that you probably need a builder or gardener (depending on where the pipe runs) to dig it up.

Once you locate the water leak its just a matter of cutting the old pipe at the leak and reconnecting the pipes up with a connector (only about 5 euros).

Obviously whilst the pipe is exposed it may well be worth putting a new pipe in to prevent it happening again.

Hope this helps at least to temp. stop the leak and save on the water bill.