DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Setting up a satellite dish

Posted by Suttoncoldfield - Created: 5 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Suttoncoldfield - 5 years ago

Hi mcgreen. I now have perfect satellite reception. Your recommendation to get dishpointer was the trick. Don't get excited about apps as a rule but this one is extraordinary. Costs €7.99 but worth every penny. All you do is open it and there's an an Image of where you are. Raise it to where you think your satellite is, in this case astra2 and there it is! You can see the angle and the position. Believe me, if I think it's easy, it's easy. All the satellites are there in an ark, including French and all the others sitting in an ark above the equator. You can see if there are buildings or trees in the way, in my case there not, recomend anybody needing to find signal to get it. Easier than using a compass Have a look at http://www.dishpointer.com/ and see. The YouTube is pretty awful but it gives you an ideaOnce again thankyouIf I can help anybody else please contact me

Sorry no image available
Posted by mcgreen - 5 years ago

180 -28 =152 so yes that is the right area to be looking in but compass and true are not the same, and we are east of the UK so that makes a small difference but keep wiggling the dish in in that area, this might help http://www.dishpointer.com/

Sorry no image available
Posted by Suttoncoldfield - 5 years ago

Thankyou so much for that mcgreen. Very useful. Yes I'm afraid I bought only a 60cm dish which is going to make life even more difficult if not impossible? I've a good meter But I just want to verify I've the right angle for astra 2. 28 east of south, so that's 152, am I right?Any further advice would be very welcomeThanks

Sorry no image available
Posted by mcgreen - 5 years ago

German TV is on Astra 1, 19 deg East of south so yes Astra but as you say a different angle. How big is the Dish ? less than 80cm you will struggle to find it. What are you using to help with the alignment, you really need a meter of some kind. The cheap 10 (ish) euro needle meters will work to get you on target and with a bit of patience can be as accurate as the more expensive versions. The vertical angle of the dish for Astra 2 is slightly different than Astra 1, but I cannot remember which way it is. Get a meter and keep twiddling it is out there.