DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Sharing ADSL connection across home PC network

Posted by harpo-187362 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by islandofsand - 14 years ago

Great to see this - I am a so called expert and have to setup a D-Link router, wireless and IP webcam in Port Grimaud for a friend later this month and I wondered what the settings were! 

Kind regards

Sorry no image available
Posted by mikem-181687 - 14 years ago

Hey Rosbif, "my" current Dns is: 193.252.19.3 and is busy connecting me to Wanadoo as I type.

My secondary Dns is 80.10.246.130 which was supplied by the server, the other one you list does not exist in my setup.

This is a configuration that works and was set up for me by Welcome Informatique in Cannes.

It may well vary from area to area and router type.

mikem

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rosbif-185958 - 14 years ago

Hey Mikem,

The current Wanadoo DNS servers are:

80.10.246.3 ( dns-adsl-gpe2-a.wanadoo.fr )

80.10.246.130 ( dns-adsl-gpe2-b.wanadoo.fr )

193.252.19.3 is actually ns3.wanadoo.fr  which should be busy doing other things ;)

Cheers

Rosbif 

Sorry no image available

Hello, the following settings are correct for Wanadoo / france telecom:

VPI / VCI    8 / 35

DNS           193.252.19.3

You should use PPPoE.

Harpo says he has one PC that sees the router, but no ADSL connection, therefore I have not addressed the network issue.

It would seem best to establish the ADSL first, then treat the network as a seperate issue.

mikem

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

I use Nerim  and a Draytek router, but they tell me that France Telecom uses VPI=8 VCI=35 PPPoE and VCmux.  They say PPPoA ought to work but better use PPPoE.

Most of these routers have a page that shows the connection status.  For example it might show you are connected but that you dont have an IP address, or that the line is OK but you are not connected.

Usually you can cut and paste the screen into a forum message.

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by Chuck-188355 - 14 years ago

It's more complicated than it looks.  You are actually creating a private network that goes through the router.  What is the router's IP address? Can the computers on the internal network see each other?  The router's IP address needs to be listed as the default gateway.  You should be able to get one pc working with support from Wanadoo and go from there.

CT

Sorry no image available
Posted by jeropo-186542 - 14 years ago

Not sure if this is solution to your problems...

I ran into the same problem a year ago ( though on a fixed network) and after trial and error decided to give up and buy small software package called PPPshar.. works a dream for just 25 USD so 20 Euro these day ;-) Takes care of all the ADSL sharing stuff and can be used as firewall as well

Hope it helps

J

BTW switching the thing on is not a bad idea either;-)

Sorry no image available
Posted by jeropo-186542 - 14 years ago

Not sure if this is solution to your problems...

I ran into the same problem a year ago ( though on a fixed network) and after trial and error decided to give up and buy small software package called PPPshar.. works a dream for just 25 USD so 20 Euro these day ;-) Takes care of all the ADSL sharing stuff and can be used as firewall as well

Hope it helps

J

BTW switching the thing on is not a bad idea either;-)

Sorry no image available
Posted by sumday - 14 years ago

wow .. I am so thrilled to see this topic!!! (sad or what?)

OK .. I am a dumb female with the same problems ..  I have a Linksys Modem/Router/4-switch/wireless ready ADSL gateway (sounds terrific huh???) that I have been trying to connect to wanadoo ... but basically it has been an unattractive ornament gathering dust for the past 6 months!!

I have set up the following settings as per instructions & I can't establish an ADSL connection either:

VPI: 8

VCI: 35<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Encapsulation: PPPoA

Multiplexing: VC

I have contacted both Wanadoo & Linksys.  Linksys says that the problem is with Wanadoo and Wanadoo says that the problem is with Linksys ... and customer service .. what is that???????

I spent a while looking at the fr.reseaux.telecoms.adsl newsgroup but didn't get any joy there.  If anybody has any bright suggestions or has managed to connect the BEFDSR41W-FR.modem to Wanadoo I would love to know, and you imagine the satisfaction of gloating!

This neck of the woods is full of IT people .. who knows the answer????

(and I don't want any bright suggestions like turning the switch on!)

Thank goodness I live in the land of wine which helps numb the pain!

Sorry no image available

Hi Harpo, assuming your router is similar to mine, check you have the following configured correctly:

VPI / VCI    0 / 35

DNS           193.252.19.3

These are Wanadoo settings.

Good luck.

mikem