DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Sharing my PC screen

Posted by Humptydingo-180377 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

2 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 2)

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnD-185075 - 14 years ago

Try VNC - it's free, requires little memory, and works on both Windows 98 and XP. First of all, download and install the following file on both machines:http://www.realvnc.com/dist/vnc-4.0-x86_win32.exeOnce installed, run the VNC server program on your PC, and then run the VNC viewer program on your husband's PC. He will just need to specify the IP address and desktop number of your XP machine (default desktop number is 1, I think).

Sorry no image available
Posted by No.6 - 14 years ago

Yes, I think it is possible using something like Microsoft's Netmeeting which is free (although there are other PC-sharing software tools on the market).  It is included with Windows XP and is downloadable for Windows 98.  See here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/netmeeting/  to download and to read up about 'program sharing'.

The aspect I'm not sure about is the networking side, considering that your 2 PCs are presumably in the same place - are they connected to a LAN (Local Area Network) in some way?  Netmeeting was primarily designed for remote communication, e.g. over the net, so I'm not sure how this would work with 2 PCs sharing the same internet connection. Perhaps a more techy/comms-oriented person could reply on this point!?

Theoretically you needn't be on the same operating system to achieve the above, but if you did want to upgrade from W98 to XP, I can confirm that you would need more than 34Mb of RAM [Random Access Memory] (that figure of 34 sounds a little unlikely, btw: 32 maybe, but 34?  - not to be confused with the amount of free runtime memory left or even hard disk space remaining...)

For the record, Windows 98 used to require 16Mb minimum RAM, 24Mb recommended.  Windows XP requires 128Mb of RAM, but is far more comfortable with 256Mb. You can increase the memory of older PCs by simply adding more memory chips for it.

Hope this helps.