DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

SHIPPING CUSTOMS AND TAX

Posted by Nicknacks - Created: 15 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

3 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 3)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Nicknacks - 15 years ago

Thanks for all the advice.  I did forget to mention that we are not New Zealanders but EU holders, so that might not help to contact embassy in Paris, but will try that link anyway.

Thanks again.

Nicky Standbridge

Nicky Syandbridge

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tinker-186005 - 15 years ago

If the items were purchased outside the EU then a levy of 17 percent is normal, if as you lived in France before and can prove many of the items were bought in France then there is no tax, but it is up to you to proove payment in France, I believe many people coming from non EU counties store their stuff in an EU country and then pay for the further transport, sadly relations between France and NZ are not good hence the higher tax, as the previous person wrote contact your consulate, I married in England and had to provide every gift note in order to bring our wedding presents here to avoid paying tax, despite being resident and a tax payer in France, and had my car emptied on the side of the autoroute by custom officers who really meant business, it all worked out but this is quite a serious situation to be in, good luckTinker

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 15 years ago

This doesn't sound right at all ! Suggest you contact the NZ Consulate in Paris ASAP and obtain their advice - thats what they're there for !

Normally there is a Customs handling charge , but it sounds as if they've charged you TVA as well ! Who is the Agent ?

stgeorge