DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Shocked & Sad - Antibes racism

Posted by Great Dame - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Great Dame - 14 years ago

nina II thanks for the site but my french is not the greatest... the great news is one of the people going into this Antibes club that was turned away is pretty high up and wants to contact a lawyer here who is well versed in racial law.

Does anyone know a great lawyer clued up on racial things.... ??? Someone reply

Sorry no image available
Posted by Aroncb - 14 years ago

Hey J,

My PC died yesterday so can not access your phone number.  Could you give me a buzz -  We are probably going for a meal in Gassin tomorrow night.

Most amusing night - Did you get that blondes number?

REgards

A

Sorry no image available
Posted by brigitte-180832 - 14 years ago

When I arrived on the Côte d'Azur some 20 years ago, I was quite lonely. I had been living in Belgium and in London, and spoke fluent English. I tried to join a group of British people on the cda (not to name them) and my membership was refused on the phone because I did not have a British passport... So you see the bad guys are not always the French!

BF

Sorry no image available
Posted by nina-II - 14 years ago

OK, OK, Admin, all right, sorry, but it was very tempting...

Sorry no image available
Posted by Admin-179828 - 14 years ago

This forum is NOT to be used for "naming and shaming".-----
Forums Administrator
forums@angloinfo.com

Sorry no image available
Posted by nina-II - 14 years ago

I am trully horrified by such behaviour, and sympathise with your friend; However, let me say that french law don't forbid to discuss racism and discrimination, they forbid the use of insult and derogatory terms.

An attitude such as you describe is completely punishable by law ( coud lead to heavy fines or the closing down of the club, I think; the tricky bit being to proove the offence...I know for sure that some "action commando"were undertaken against such club or restaurant, in order to caught them red handed, I think it was organised by SOS Racisme, and was succesful may be you can find information on their website http://www.sos-racisme.org/home.php3.

To start with, boycotting this club seems a good idea...Why don't you give their name and adress? if they behave that way, I can see no reason to protect their incognito.

On second though, if admin says it's against the law to publicly expose a fellon, I wouldn't mind you sending me the information throught e-mail, so I can spread the word.

Confort your crying freind the best you can, one stupid biggot doesn't make a crowd

Sorry no image available
Posted by jjmiller - 14 years ago

People are just so ignorant. Imagine a world where we were all the same.. how freakin boring.

What is even worse is that there's some rediculous french law that says we're not even allow to discuss racism. This thread will know doubt be deleted. How do you handle discrimination legally in this country if you can't talk about it?