DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Should I switch from Wanadoo?

Posted by HarryDay-186340 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

My experience with Wanadoo has been 'reasonable' with no major complaints but am moving address shortly & open to changing my ISP. Has anybody who used to be with Wanadoo switched elsewhere & found better service? Please advise - Thanks.

Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 14 years ago

The easiest way to leave a Wanadoo contract is to switch the Intégrale (or DSL, or...) contract to a pay-as-you-go one (Accès Libre). This happens almost instantly. From that point on, you are only charged if you dial in to Wanadoo. If you use a different supplier for internet access, you are charged nothing.

However, you can still collect e-mail from your Wanadoo POP3 mailboxes, so you don't have to change your e-mail addresses if you don't want to; you use you new supplier simply for bandwidth (and SMTP). Also, you do still have the "dormant" Wanadoo account as backup should your new supplier have an infrastructure problem and you have an urgent need to get online.

Note that you will need to have a dial-up modem (POTS or ISDN) to use Accès Libre - you can't (as far as I know) use a DSL connection.

Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by oodster - 14 years ago

from experience it is very difficult to get out of a wanadoo contract. You unwittingly sign up for 1 year and there is a 2 week window in which you can terminate it. Unless you move house then you can end it.

They (wanadoo)also got shirty at me as i was using 9neuf telecom for cheep phone calls because of their link with France Telecom

Sorry no image available
Posted by irishman-180738 - 14 years ago

Geoff,

you can sign up for France Telecom's "Espace Client" without having Wanadoo service.

/Irishman

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

quote:OK; don't make me quiver in anticipation...where is this 2048/256 k offer.

It's gone up! Now they are offering 5000/350k provided you are in a degrouped zone.

http://www.free.fr/presse/CP_Free_20040604.pdf

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by Geoff77 - 14 years ago

YES I AGREE THAT WANADOO  is very reliable and efficient, despite higher charges compared to other networks. I had trouble registering with their free service that shows your Fr.Telecom account on line, and my email to them in basic french requesting assistance was sorted out within a couple of days. I've been with Wanadoo for almost a year now with no problems atall.  Geoff

Sorry no image available
Posted by C J Flynn - 14 years ago

quote:I want the power and glory that goes with a 2048/256 link at pocket money prices.id=quote>OK; don't make me quiver in anticipation...where is this 2048/256 k offer...I looked at the free.fr site. I didn't know anyone was doing this yet.Thanks,c J

Sorry no image available
Posted by rosetta-185721 - 14 years ago

It always amazes me how long it takes to set these ADSL lines up. I ordered a line from Tiscali on May 21st and they told me last week it could take 30 days, then I just called and they said next week, so who knows!

Sorry no image available
Posted by ThinkItThrough - 14 years ago

I think one aspect that hasn't been mentioned are the 'frais de resiliation', basically how much it costs to cancel your subscription.

I am currently with 9Telecom and to my mind, they are the only ISP that have no fees to cancel your subscription.

The customer service isn't great in my experience. I had a few teething problems, but since then the quality has been absolutely fine.

Cheers,

Antony

Sorry no image available
Posted by me_2003 - 14 years ago

i guess it demend on the level of service needed.

wanadoo has the best service and also costs a more.

i was with free and you are not sure of having a high level of connectivity.

Sorry no image available
Posted by ifs-194624 - 14 years ago

Oh dear am I in a minority of one???  For internet adsl I use wanadoo and am happy with them!  Reliability has been 100%.

Use Kast for telephone calls.  They're good too.