DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Should our rent increase when renewing contract ?

Posted by Si-180835 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by will 06 - 13 years ago

In my case as a landlord I thought the indexed increase was every 3 years and it turned out to be every year.Even though I had bone nothing for over 2 years I was able to backdate the increase by way of a lump sum.There is acccording to my Advocat a 5 year limit on backdating the increase.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Pumuckel - 13 years ago

Apart from last year, my landlady increased my rent the every year, she said the increase was according to INSEE. This year though she increased it by 8% :( So, I'd just like to make sure that I understood the INSEE calculation method correctly that is described on their website. Maybe someone can confirm that my understanding is correct?

If my rental contract was established in April 2000 with a yearly increase in the 1st trimestre of each year, and my current rent is xyz, is the following formula correct to calculate the rent for 2005?

(xyz x 1211) : 1075,50 = rent for the current year
- where 1211 is the indice moyen from 1/4 2004
- and 1075,50 the indice moyen from 1/4 2000 (signature du bail).

Or, since she didn't increase the rent since 2003, do I have to apply the following fomula?

(xyz x 1172) : 1075,50 = rent for the current year
- where 1172 is the indice moyen from 1/4 2003
- and 1075,50 the indice moyen from 1/4 2000 (signature du bail).

Thanks very much.

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 13 years ago

Hi Si,

The info that yjme pointed you to is correct but it really only covers the case of an agreed increase.  You are not obliged to agree. 

I note the date of your post 25th July and the fact that you say the contract is renewable in January.  You may just have a loophole on this rent increase because according to article 17c de la loi du 6 juillet 1989, You must receive notice of this increase by registered letter SIX months ahead of the end of the contract.

Furthermore, you do not have to accept.  You can either ignore the increase letter or explicitly oppose it in writing.  Either of these courses of action will require the landlord to go through conciliation to have the rent increased.  The fact that he/she has set exactly 10% (the ceiling for spreading increass over 3 years rather than 6) seems to me that they are trying it on a bit and that you could maybe negotiate a lesser amount.

Good Luck!

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 13 years ago

From the same site that yjme referred us to;

quote: [...IMAGE...] Le dernier indice INSEE du coût de la construction (ICC) est celui du premier trimestre 2004, paru le 9 juillet 2004 dans Informations Rapides de l'INSEE. Il est de 1225.
La hausse par rapport à l'indice du premier trimestre 2003 est, à titre indicatif, de 3.55 %.

It is normal that the rent increases by the INSEE index even on a fixed term rental period.

Sorry no image available
Posted by SammyT-194551 - 13 years ago

We signed a 5 yr contract for our apartment last year, and yesterday I received a letter in the mail stating that our rent would be going up by 3.3% next month - is this normal?  I know it's not much, but when you don't make much, every little bit counts.  Plus, I thought that was the point of signing a long-term contract - the rent stays the same for that time period, and the owners are insured continuous income.

Thanks,

Samantha

Sorry no image available
Posted by Si-180835 - 13 years ago

Thanks guys :-)

Si

Sorry no image available
Posted by yjme-181229 - 13 years ago

Yes

http://www.anil.org/guide/locatif/fixat.htm#C

Some owners do this others don't........

Sorry no image available
Posted by mat-196270 - 13 years ago

yes