DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Sim cards

Posted by kfulwell - Created: 16 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 16 years ago

Make sure your existing mobile is not SIM locked - if it is you will not be able to use another SIM card in it.

Some operators will unlock it for a fee, there are also independent shops who will unlock it (technically this may be a breach of contract).

Sorry no image available
Posted by Crystal Balls-184435 - 16 years ago

Try an SFR shop - they're infinatly more helpful than FT / Orange / Bouygues - and they're services are good.CB

Sorry no image available
Posted by kfulwell - 16 years ago

Thanks everyone - that's been really helpful!KateKate

Sorry no image available
Posted by MSM2000UK-181816 - 16 years ago

Im a student living in Monaco and so have both an english and now a french mobile.

I went to FNAC and they offered me a whole range of sim card only packages and they work with your existing phone too. Im on SFR and have found them to be very good although i think if you join MobiCarte then the customer service and top up instructions are all in english...i stress that i think because its what FNAC told me.

Good luck

Max

Sorry no image available
Posted by olyp - 16 years ago

we got a French phone with a contract in Auchan. I bet they can also help you with pay as you go.

watch out, they may want to sell you a phone, as well!

we first tried directly with Orange / France Telecom, but they were difficult (wanted carte de sejour, etc.). it seems - like in the UK - independent shops are more resourceful!

good luck