DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Six Monthly Prescriptions

Posted by jonboy-191946 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

In the UK we manage to obtain prescriptions that wiill last for 6 months maximum.

Is this also possible in France or do you have to return to the GP once a month, which can be costly?

Sorry no image available

3 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 3)

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 14 years ago

Often the physician will write a prescription for 6 boxes of pills, for example and the pharmacist will give it to you all at once. If you have storage problems, you can say that you only want say, two boxes and that you will come back at a later date for the remainder.

Lana

Sorry no image available
Posted by jonboy-191946 - 14 years ago

Thanks for your reply.

When I say 6 months prescription, I also mean one payment of £6.06 for 6 months supply of drugs.  Is this also possible in France?

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 14 years ago

It will depend on the drug and its perceived necessity/risk as the treatment evolves.  You'd need to ask your doctor.

Contraception/HRT/Asthma/Insulin etc. can be had on recurring prescriptions even beyond 1 year.  Usually the original prescription form is stamped/dated by the pharmacist at each delivery.

As you become known to your pharmacist he/she may even allow regular prescription drugs without written prescription but then you have no possibility of S.S. reimbursement.