DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Smoking ban in public places ?

Posted by F-189504 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0

Hi,

I believe there is a law, but is smoking 'really' banned in public places in France - restaurants, inside public buildings etc.?  

In particular does this 'ban' extend to restaurant terraces, where it seems to me there is an unspoken contest to create the biggest billowing cloud of smoke across what ought to be an othewise sunny day?

F

Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by nice cuppa tee - 13 years ago

Well it is not as bad here as it is in Germany! Rather at odds with Germany's clean and green image, they have no regulations at all about no smoking areas in restaurants because of the very strong tobacco lobby there (Reemta - who make West brand). If there is a no-smoking area in a restaurant it is voluntary and you cannot stop somebody lighting up at the table next to you. And if you do complain, you may not get much sympathy from the staff. Once in a hotel in Garmisch Partenkirchen I was having breakfast and the people at that table next to me lit up. When I asked to be relocated to a non-smoking table they made me sit out in the hall!!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by F-189504 - 13 years ago

Mike P,

You are smarter than I am - you remembered some of the quote at least, I had to go and look up all of it

F

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 13 years ago

Yes, I s****ed up big time trying to quote - not a good idea to try to be smart when you aren't!!!!!  I hope Hamlet will forgive me (I knew it was Shakespeare, didn't even know it was Hamlet!).

Ironically 'Hamlets' are a type of cigar, and rather unpleasant smelling ones too!

Sorry no image available
Posted by F-189504 - 13 years ago

Mike P,

Thank you.

I am sure Hamlet will forgive you as yes indeed, the 'law' if I may dignify it with such a term, is more honour'd in the breach than the observance.

In my own country, Ireland, in which I have not lived for many years, the recent ban on smoking in pubs (of all places) has been widely accepted.

Could we therefore, along with the Guinness, warm welcomes and song,  import the 'smoking ban'  into the Irish bars on the Côte d' Azur?

Or should I come off my cloud, of smoke, and be thankful we have at least the first three?

F

Sorry no image available

The first line of my posting is of course complete rubbish as it stands,  and should have said :

.... there is a law, OBSERVED more widely in the breach than in the observance ......... (In other words, it is usually ignored ....)

Sorry no image available

There is a law,  ignored more widely in the breach than in the observance. maybe because very few people take the trouble to complain when their right to breathe air which is not contaminated by tobacco fumes is infringed.

The law about a smoking section in restaurants is normally ignored or made a mockery of, as if you insist they will give you a table which they tell you is 'the' non-smoking area and you will then be surrounded by puffers. I am told that there have been no prosecutions of restaurateurs for non-observance of the law under the non-smoking laws.

Even in places such as the airport which are non-smoking, nobody seems to bother.

As far as outside terraces are concerned I believe the law does not even apply - not that anyone would take any notice of it if it did.

If it's any consolation, in Spain it's worse.  More people smoke, they smoke putrid smelling black tobacco, and there are even fewer laws to protect the rights of non-smokers.

Roll on the day when there are Singapore type laws and proper enforcement in Europe. Sadly, I am afraid it won't happen.