DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

So where's the best place to live on the CDA?

Posted by GemG - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

I've finally decided to bite the bullet and just book a flight to France, job or no job.  I will fly to Nice by 3rd May latest (day depends on flight prices) so where would you recommend I go from there?

Some background: I'm probably going to look for a job in a hotel to tide me over whilst I look for a 'proper' job - I will be reliant on public transport for the foreseeable future - I do speak French - I would like to be able to meet some French people if possible! - Some social life is important but not the be all and end all - My budget is limited

Stay in Nice or head for another town?  If so, where?  Anywhere to avoid?

Urgent advice gratefully received - I am so excited!!!!

Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by me_2003 - 14 years ago

Hey girls

just saying good luck to the both of you. To tell you the truth, it's not the easiest of tasks. I would advise to take any job you can get. It did take me quite a while to set myself up down here, but it is possible!! Just talk to as many people as possible, either in the English community (Irish bars (McMahons, Waynes, Thor, Johnny's wine bar, bar des oiseaux etc) or just go to every restaurant in Old Nice & tell them you are searching for a job. Don't loose hope too easily. Also angloinfo is great. Have your CV's ready & as soon as a job is posted on the site, apply. Eventually you will find something. I found my job through angloinfo....(thank you angloinfo)

Well best of luck the two of you. May your journey & time here be full of great adventures!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by GemG - 14 years ago

Lynette, I've been trying to get a job in France from England for ages but getting nowhere so this seems like the only option.  I'd like to stay in France for the indefinite future but I'll look for a hol job to get me started whilst I brush up my French - I swear I forget it all as soon as I leave the country!

Sorry no image available
Posted by lynnettejane - 14 years ago

Good luck to you both, I think you're brave and adventurous, you never know till you tryregards Lynnette

Sorry no image available
Posted by LouG-194215 - 14 years ago

speak french a little bit - really want to learn more though!

Not really sure where i'm headed.... Nice for first 2 days then hope a job comes up! Am being really disorganised about the whole thing at the moment but will go whereever i can find a job! Trying not to think about it as i'll start panicknig! x

Sorry no image available

Where are you headed Lou?  Do you speak French?

Sorry no image available
Posted by LouG-194215 - 14 years ago

Hi GemG!!

Just thought i'd say good luck with the move! I'm in the same boat and am getting to france on the 1st of May - as yet no job or flat either!! I've got two nights in a hotel in nice but then kind of need to find something for after that as my budget is VERY limited!

Let me know how you get on anyway!!

Lou x

Sorry no image available

I've booked into the Backpacker's Chez Patrick by the station for the 1st few nights and then I need to look for something else sharpish!

Sorry no image available
Posted by lisdenice-187116 - 14 years ago

hi there,

if u stay in youth hostel Cimiez you can have bus rides, yet far from the city, but in the other hostel in Mont Boron, hhmmmnnn, you'll be on top of the hill, away from the everything & everybody .... try find a place to stay in the old town ( vieux Nice ) its where the action is!!  also no need to ride a bus, since you're near everything, tempo jobs are easier to find when you're inside the old town, plenty of restaurants, pubs, hotels nearby to take your chance!!

wish you good luck dear!!

Sorry no image available

You're up late Chick!

I'm reserving judgement on whether I am brave, mad or stupid for a month!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Chick-194409 - 14 years ago

Wow, that's cool, just doing it and getting over there. Good luck with the job hunt- I have a 12-25 card, very good for saving the pennies!  Can't really advise re. jobs in/around Nice- only ever went there shopping!- i worked over in Frejus and to the west of there. Hope you get what you want.