Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


Social Security number

Posted by David Jones-195301 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Steve R-187639 - 14 years ago

Having said that, many people's employer's do it for them. I was just extremely lucky to have an incredibly useless employer.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Steve R-187639 - 14 years ago

Go to your local CPAM, take every form you can imagine (including work contract, SS number etc), a book and something to drink and speak to the nice man. They'll sort it out for you and the Carte Vitale comes in the post.

Have a look on www.pagesjaunes.fr for your local branch and check on which days they are open. My local one in Nice is only open a couple of half days per week.

Sorry no image available
Posted by David Jones-195301 - 14 years ago

Thank you for the helpful information, can you or anyone help further with information on the Carte Vitale. How and where do I obtain this. contact me on cdagrasse@hotmail.com

Sorry no image available
Posted by yjme-181229 - 14 years ago

Yes she is and any children you have, but you must "ouvrir les droits", which basically means open her rights to social security. You should contact your social security office, go in is better, and declare that she is 'à ma charge' (in your charge). Her name will be put on your Carte Vitale. Her rights, however, will have to be renewed from time to time. You will see the dates on the attestation which is a form you can get from the SS office which has all the details on the actual card but can be seen on this piece of paper. Your wife is covere for four years by the way, even if she starts working and receives her own social security number. Hope this helps.