Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


Social security numbers- regional transfers?

Posted by georgeiandougal - Created: 16 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

2 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 2)

Sorry no image available
Posted by reinrev5 - 16 years ago

Hello georgeiandougal,

We are in the process of going through this now. We fist rang the CPAM (Securite Sociale) who sent us forms to fill out. These forms have to be sent back to them with your green card. If you don't have your green card I think you have to supply a certificate or attestation or something (it wasn't our case so I didn't take much notice of this). Then you sit back and wait for a month or so until something happens. We added (for good measure) photocopies of our latest wage slips which have our S/S Nos. on them.

It may be faster if you go to yor local CPAM (soial securiy) office.

In any case why they don't let you keep your green card and just note the change of address and transfer internally your file, I don't know but suppose that it keeps even more public servants in a job and at the same time helps deepen the debt that the CPAM is in.


Sorry no image available
Posted by yjme-181229 - 16 years ago


Your Social security number stays the same wherever you live in France, but what changes is the social security office who handles your dossier, depending on where you live and what you do.   You don't say if you are employed or self-employed which are two totally different systems. Do you not have old have wage slips or other paperwork with your social security number on it?  This number has absolutely nothing to do with the income tax by the way, it's uniquely for social security/pension and family benefits.  If you really can't find your original number (have you been out of the country since Paris?) then call or go into your local social security office, taking any paperwork you have remaining plus your last three month's wage slips.  In order to benefit from social security you have to have legally worked either 60 hours in the last one month period or 120 hours in the last three months (this is if you are employed).  They will help you out and put you on the right track.  Hope this helps.