DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Speeding Fine

Posted by xaxau - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by xaxau - 14 years ago

well well well, a turn up for the books..

you will be pleased to know ( i was) that my pleeding did not fall on deaf ears. Our fine was reduced to 135.00 euros from 375.00 euros which i can deal with. Maybe there is hope after all!!

Persistance pays

Sorry no image available

Well, we sent another letter today pleading everything from innocence to poverty, so keep your fingers crossed for us, i certainly have and will let you know the outcome.

Unfortunatly my slack book keeping has caught up with me!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

Whilt Humptydingo's argument is sound,  I think that the enemy would take a different view.

They would say that if you reconciled your bank statement regularly,  you would have realised that the amount had not been debited, and should therefore have taken appropriate action.  This would place the onus on you to ensure that the authortiy concerned had received your payment.  Unfair,  yes ... but life's a bitch ... and you're in France!

Having lived in a number of countries,  I am always amazed at how slow French organisations are to cash cheques.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Nice&Easy - 14 years ago

Cheque in the post.Ummmmmm. seemed to have been there myself cost me a bob or Two extra as well.

No one believes anyone anymore so  I had to stump up the differance OUCH!!.Now I pay by recorded delivery /Cash even Credit Cards are not a secure way!!

Good Luck You will need it......

Sorry no image available
Posted by Humptydingo-180377 - 14 years ago

If you use your cheque book very frequently then the missing cheque number will be obvious by it's absence on your bank statement.  Try and use your bank statement as evidence that the missing cheque number is that which you sent them.  Don't send them a copy but take it along to the relevant office and give it a try.  Of course the fact that it has not been paid out of your bank account isn't necessarily a sign that it has not reached the Tresor (whoever?).  It's probably with a pile of cheques in someone's drawer who's away sick or something - this is France remember.  It always surprises me that some of the cheques I pay out to companies don't appear on my account for some weeks later.  Good Luck

Sorry no image available

i didnt even receive a warning or notice to say the fine was late, just wammo .. 375 euro thanks ----

Sorry no image available
Posted by yjme-181229 - 14 years ago

Unless you have the slip from the Poste proving that you sent it recorded delivery (lettre récommandé) then I'm afraid you have no way of avoiding the extra amount.

With all respect to the person who swears he has sent a cheque, (and who really did) if it did not arrive at the Tresor Public or wherever it is the cheque was sent to it's not the receiver's fault or problem and you still owe them money.

You may be lucky with letter writing, pleading your case, it may fall on sensitive ears..........or not.