DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Spyware problems

Posted by poolman-188953 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by simonwynne - 13 years ago

Hi.

I have zone alarm basic [free] on 2 pcs and they do job...ZA also offer a online pest control [limited free] that can detect that naughty stuff in regedit, despite ''mywebsearch'' bar which popswats without any problems.

the other is go onto the Symantec site and do a online check for free it does work and I do checks every week....er why!  cause....

ZA has blocked 650,000 attempts in about a month and has qarantined nearly 900 suspected email attachments,

Also end of everyday or shut down for the day I do a complete clean up on C left click and properties, then use a internet cleaner from Next step..these both clean out temp internet files and temp files...

u still have 2 clear out the history files as well as the cookies.

One thing i still havent worked out is why i've got 72 meg in save2dsk can this another sort of storage area !!!!!

Simon Templer

Sorry no image available
Posted by danonimes-184717 - 13 years ago

Used to have Ad-aware and Spybot, then moved to Spyguard but after becoming frustrated witht the inefficiencies of the freebies, I signed up to CA's Pest Patrol.Last night I downloaded AOL9 (may the Lord forgive and preserve me and my PC) which comes bundled with AOL's Spyware Protection. I just ran it and it found 6 problems. Ran CA Pest Patrol afterwards and it found 8, including a Download Trojan in the AOL Toolbar directory - now there's a surprise :)Microsoft may be first, but AOL are a close second.Get Firefox

Sorry no image available
Posted by Old Brit - 13 years ago

quote:Or...Linux (free) :-)id=quote>And of course Apple Mac for those who can afford it!

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnD-185075 - 13 years ago

quote:AVG (free) NoAdware (buy)Spyware Doctor (free)Spy Cleaner Gold (free for 15 days)id=quote>Or...Linux (free) :-)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Carolebay-180697 - 13 years ago

There's so much coming through the ether the past few weeks..

AVG (free)  

NoAdware (buy)

Spyware Doctor (free)

Spy Cleaner Gold (free for 15 days)

Spy Cleaner seems to be the only one that protects my home-page from change

Sorry no image available
Posted by Pumuckel - 13 years ago

I agree with lob. I also use Opera plus Norton Internet Security - all my problems are solved. So far so good... cross fingers!

Pumuckel

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 13 years ago

I've found Adaware updated every few days coupled with the Wanadoo anti-spam for € 1.50 a month and Norton Pro is the best combination.

stgeorge

Sorry no image available
Posted by ilight - 13 years ago

ok. i found the answer to getting rid of those popup messanger probs, you have to disable it, which is easy (for xp anyway), instructions on the link http://www.netc.coop/help/FAQs/messangerxp

Sorry no image available
Posted by ilight - 13 years ago

Hi, on this topic, does anyone know how to get rid of those annoying popup windows, not in the browser, but say pretty much the same things again and again. I am getting bombarded today...so frustrating!

"message from windows to infecte on 9/7/2004 7:45 PM

warning! your computer is infected with software that norrmal virus.....etc etc. www.xpvirus clean

Sorry no image available
Posted by lob-189383 - 13 years ago

john d is right - avoid any drive by installs or malwares by using a different browser.i use opera: http://www.opera.comfind it much quicker than Internet Explorer and has some great features that makes surfing a whole lot quicker.