DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Spyware program ...is it bogus??

Posted by Palmtrees-188751 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnD-185075 - 13 years ago

Oops, sorry for the broken link, try this one instead:http://tinyurl.com/65ou9

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnD-185075 - 13 years ago

A cautionary note to anybody using Aluria Spyware Eliminator (mentioned elsewhere in this thread):http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1706659,00.asp

Sorry no image available
Posted by ifs-194624 - 13 years ago

Ad-aware (which from memory is lavasoft) has been superb for me.  The one thing I was incredibly pleased with is that it found and binned 'searchfast' or 'searchfst'.  Not, to be fair, that this ever tried to route me to performance enhancing products (!) but I'm happy with deciding for myself if I want to search for a site, and which search engine (I think google is great) to use.  I would be defaulted to searchfst if the link I tried no longer worked.

I have paid for and subscribe to an annually renewable anti-virus protector, firewall, etc etc (Norton) but it didn't achieve what ad-aware did 

Anyone know what searchfst is?  I started to assume it was from Microsoft it was so firmly embedded on my computer (even the program removal function failed to bin it, it kept claiming it wasn't there).

Ian. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by beavers-197795 - 13 years ago

Hi,

Try  this www.lavasoftusa.com I have used their software for several years. Its free but you can pay and have an upgrade. What it does it searches all your drives etc and highlights any spyware. It then gives you the option to delete.

Hope it works for you

Beavers

Sorry no image available
Posted by danonimes-184717 - 13 years ago

Agree with Mike V for the browsers.Check out Computer Associates free Spyware scan http://www.my-etrust.com/products/pestscan/pestscan.cfmIt finds Spyware that the freebie options don't. The only drawback is, you have to be using IE (duh).My first scan found 155 "pests". Since cleaning them out, I've been using SpyGuard and my latest scan found 0 pests.SpyGuard - www.wilderssercurity.com

Sorry no image available
Posted by Mike V-188564 - 13 years ago

Don't be too overjoyed! I have never used I.E., only Netscape or Opera and now Firefox but spyware still gets through. Keep using Adaware and Spybot and registry cleaners too.Mike V

Sorry no image available
Posted by Palmtrees-188751 - 13 years ago

Hi againI have now got five spyware programs installed, Norton, and a program called "Registry Mechanic". All did absolutely nothing to fix my problem.However, I have now downloaded Firefox instead of Internet Explorer, and the problem has gone. So quick and easy!Internet Explorer - GOOD RIDDANCE! Thanks for all the help.Palmtrees

Sorry no image available
Posted by ivi - 13 years ago

Sounds like someone has made a change in your registry, via spyware.  Anyway if you download Spybot, they also have a) an immunize programme which is wise to activate and on one of their options is another programme called spyblaster.  Using this second programme you can see what changes have been made to your registry and change them back or delete them.

Basically you probably don't have any spyware any more but it sounds like you need to fix your registry.  Hope that makes some kind of sense.  Good luck.

Sorry no image available
Posted by No.6 - 13 years ago

Palmtrees: have a look at this other thread: http://riviera.angloinfo.com/forum/topic.asp?whichpage=1&topic_ID=31431&forum_ID=7&cat_ID=2&topic_Title=Something+wrong+with+my+computer%3F

The particular serach page diversion problem you are suffering from is discussed there.  SpyBot will get rid of it, says JohnD.... and you will be saved from disappearing into cyber-oblivion, after all. 

Isn't life just wonderful ?!  :-)

Sorry no image available
Posted by No.6 - 13 years ago

It's good that you've performed the Norton virus check: that's one potential worry eliminated. 

I would then definitely download and run both SpyBot and Ad-Aware -they're free and they do work, even if they're not the most sophisticated and comprehensive tools on the market. I'm sure there'll be a ton of nasty little spyware programs that you will easily remove this way (btw, you can simply press the 'fix all' button, it's easier and quite safe)

Lastly, I would ensure that your Windows operating system is updated with all the latest critical updates from Microsoft's Windows Update website: there is an automated check for all the updates that your system needs.  This can take a very long time to update eveything if you haven't this for, say, the last 2 years, but I would say it is well worth it. 

The only additional safeguards I have over the above are a free Anti-virus program (AVG) and the built-in Windows firewall switched on.  Since I updated my system in this way, all my problems have gone (and stayed) away. 

Hope this helps.