DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Starting a business on the Riviera

Posted by root-187816 - Created: 15 years ago
0 0

I've decided that I'm fed up slogging my guts out to make other people rich, and I was wondering if anybody could offer me some advice on starting up your own business on the Cote d'Azur? I have a concept for some company productivity software that I could write and sell to other businesses, although I haven't written a single line of code yet. There's probably a few months development time needed to get it going, but it's the sort of thing where I could start out small working from home with a single client, and then gradually grow from there and start employing people.I realise that people have probably asked this kind of thing before, but I'm far too lazy to trawl the archives :)

Sorry no image available

3 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 3)

Sorry no image available
Posted by wendy-179831 - 15 years ago

Hi root

You can have a look at this site: Agence Pour la Création d'Entreprise Click on the flag for a very sound Eng-lang version.

It doesn't have all the answers, but it's a pretty good place to work out the questions.

Sorry no image available
Posted by venkym - 15 years ago

I guess any business venture in France that really cares to satisfy the customer could do well. If only wishes were horses...

Sorry no image available
Posted by dumbo-186130 - 15 years ago

Root,

The key to making this kind of decision, as you know, is having the right information, which you can get from the Chamber of Commerce, rather than from well-meaning, possibly incorrectly informed, friends.  Alternatively, you can go to the Chambre des Metiers (even though yours isn't a metier - it doesn't matter as the info is the same) in St Laurent du Var, sign up for a course (in French) on how to start your own business and you will be given loads of documents on how much it costs, taxes you have to pay etc (you have to pay for this course).  By the way, going on the course in no way obliges you to set up in business - it just gives you the information.

It's far from easy in France - but make sure you are really well informed before taking the plunge.  Good luck!