DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Starting school - who's more nervous?

Posted by rich-182445 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

Hi all

Our 5 yo daughter will start in the French schooling system this September ...

Any tips for us nervous parents?

. Should we be trying to cram her with some basic phrases in French to prepare her?

. Do we need to buy her text books in advance?

. Any other things we should know or gotchas we should prepare for?

Advice from someone who has been through the process would be gratefully appreciated!

Cheers

Rich

Sorry no image available

2 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 2)

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 14 years ago

Depending upon when her birthday falls, if she's five she may be starting in primary section (CP is the first class) or else the last year of the maternelle (Grande Maternelle).

Either way - you need not worry for preparation.  Your daughter will be fine and will be speaking French within 3 months.  Leave all the schooling to the tyeachers - the primary system in France is in my opinion one of the best in the world.  If she is in the maternelle system she will not have homework but if she is in CP she will have a little homework most nights.  My personal advice is to sit down with your daughter and do the homework together.  I don't mean do it for her - but do it with her.  If you make a habit of this you will find that you come to understand the system very well and also you will deepen your French appreciation of culture and language. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by VictoriaB-187745 - 14 years ago

Dear Rich,

I don't have a child who recently started school in the french system but I myself did when I was five...!!!

My english parents moved down here before I was born and english was the only language I heard until I was packed off to the 'maternelle' in a french school. From what my mother has told me, they did not give me any specific books nor phrases to get in the move with !

From what I gather, I just ran off into the playground when I saw a load of other kids my age (leaving my mother crying on the curb) and started blabbing on in french in no time. At five years old children are like sponges and they pick up languages really quickly.

Problem started when I tried to speak to my mother in french ... she never answered and pretended to not understand and made me speak english at home, result of which at 25, I speak both perfect english and french, both with no accent at all. I picked up a third language before the age of 8 and I am very very glad because it definately gives me a head start for jobs and so on.

So, I would say, don't worry about it ...

Best of luck!

VictoriaB