DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

strikes and station safety

Posted by lynnettejane - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

Hi all, things seem to have gone quiet on the strike scene, are they continuing? We arrive on 8/7 would like to take the train from Nice St Augustine to Villefranche but don't know if there will be any trains. Also, can you tell me if Nice rail and bus stations are safe, it will be about 21.00 hrs and it will be obvious that we have just arrived,bags etc. and the prospect of having a few euros in our pockets might make us attractive targets, can anyone advise, has anyone had awful experiences while waiting for trains/buses. Don't really want to take a taxi, but if it's the safest option then so be it, thanks Lynnette

Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Cabbie-182008 - 14 years ago

Lynette

The strikes seem to have finished, but there's a new problem. There was a landslide at Roquebrune Cap Martin the day after the last strike, which means that the trains are still running a reduced service, albeit better than during the 2 strike weeks. I can email you the timetable if you want - it was sent to the place I work in Monaco.

You can get a train as far as Monaco, but then it's a bus service to Menton. During rush hour it's horrendous, as the trains are packed with commuters and tourists. Avoid the trains before 8.30am and the one at 6.24pm.

Cabbie

Sorry no image available
Posted by lynnettejane - 14 years ago

Thanks all, Lynnette

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 14 years ago

There is a long walk to wherever you're going from Villefranche Station , unless you're being collected , so I would definitely advise a Taxi . They do not operate the same way as at the Airport ( Taxis de Nice Ville ) and nor are the tariffs the same ,but ask how much in advance anyway- the extra expense will be worth it , rather than struggling with baggage - at least you can get dropped at your destination !

stgeorge

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

I'd say the risk is negligible.  Also at 9pm. it is not really even dark yet.

The fact that you are asking the question proves that you are aware of potential risk and that is half the battle.  I'm not saying that if you dropped your wallet someone would run after you with it (although they might!)

Sorry no image available
Posted by lynnettejane - 14 years ago

Thanks Carolie and MikeP, there will be just my husband and myself, both 50 somethings, relatively fit but not fighting so, therefore is the train idea still a relatively good one? Thanks again, regards Lynnette

Sorry no image available
Posted by carolie-182474 - 14 years ago

Hi Lynnettejane, Here is a link to then french site on information about the strikes. There is no word of any more at the moment but the site is updated daily and covers, flights trains and roads. as Mike said just keep your wits about you and you will be fine. I will also give you the link for the train timetable in English. I hope all goes well.

http://www.greves.org/pages/home.php

http://www.voyages-sncf.com/dynamic/_SvHomePage?_DLG=SvHomePage&_CMD=cmdHomepageUK&WB=HP

Regards

Carol

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

Can't answer you about strikes,  but as regards safety,  I don't think you are running any significant risk by taking a train at that time if there's more than one of you.  Keep your wits about you as you would anywhere.