Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


Stuck with 'fiscal stamps' - what to do with them?

Posted by alx-189416 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

I just renewed my passport, and the Prefecture has returned the 60 euros worth of fiscal stamps which they asked for when I first applied. So I took the stamps back to the tax office I bought them from, but of course could not get a refund!

So what can I use these for, or alternatively where can I get a refund??

Any advice welcome!


Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

There seem to be 3 sorts of stamps, timbres amendes for paying parking fines and so on, timbres fiscaux for paying government fees, and timbres OMI for the immigration office.

you can buy timbres amendes and fiscaux at the local tabac or post office so maybe they have timbres OMI as well.

You can also get them at the prefecture, but you dont want to go there just to buy stamps, and there might be a queue.


Sorry no image available
Posted by gofrance - 14 years ago

I have a question, not really an answer. I'm supposed to buy OMI stamps to get my CDJ, but I don't know where to get them. Do you happen to know? I'm presuming the same places that sell the stamps you have would sell the OMI stamps... Thanks!

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

Surely you can sell them to anyone who needs fiscal stamps?  I believe they can be used to pay traffic fines (but don't go out and get a fine just to test the theory!)

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 14 years ago

Try getting your local tabac to buy them back for say 50EUR.

A bit less if they have already been licked.