DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Sundays bombs in Nice - where?

Posted by Andrew.Wilk - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

According to Reuters, Corsican separatists exploded two bombs at the "tax and customs offices in Nice, for hundreds of yards from the site windows shattered"

Does anyone have any idea where in the city - which street and part of town  - this happened? "Nice" is not enough detail.

Andrew

Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 14 years ago

My guess is its L'Hotel Des Impots next !stgeorge

Sorry no image available
Posted by Andrew.Wilk - 14 years ago

I have a lot to learn no doubt, but it has alweays struck me these people are extremists first, nationalists only second. ETA have been bombing away for thirty years without result: its more a career and lifestyle thing being an extremist.

Two thirty Sunday morning outside a tax office is hardly a "maximum carnage" opportunity. With the minimal hours the fonctionnaires work, they would be hard-pressed to harm anyone at such a location, at any time of day. Hopefully they have made their gesture, and thats that. Disabuse me if you think otherwise!

Best regards,

Andrew

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 14 years ago

Aroncb: many of the extreme separatists (which presumably includes those that plant bombs) were against the proposed legislation, ironically enough - although the ideas did involve a tiny amount of extra autononomy for the island, Chirac, for one, believed that this was a way of consolidating Corsica's "Frenchness". Sadly, the extremists agreed with him.**************
Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by Aroncb - 14 years ago

Rather strange that the corsicans vote in favour of not receiving more devolved power from paris then start bombing.  Maybe if they spent more time campaigning to win that vote than building explosives they could have swung it.   Not that I claim to understand all the issues involved..... 

Sorry no image available

I'm in the road next to the Rue Hotel des Postes, - about 200 yards -  from the explosions, so  I'll take that as a "near miss" then!

No dustpan and brush for me next time, crikey - its tin helmet time.

Cheers?

Sorry no image available

It's at 18 rue Tonduti de l'Escarène, off rue de l'Hôtel des Postes

Click here for a map...

For more detail on the story, here's Le Monde's take on it.

Mike

Sorry no image available

Thanks for the link Mike . Any idea what street or district these offices were in? - I am just wondering whether or not to bring a dust pan and brush when next over to the appartment!

Sorry no image available

Tax & Customs office according to the BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3081025.stm

Made a helluvas loud bang, I can tell you that much. The odd thing was the absence of sirens afterwards, made me think it wasn't an explosion after all...