DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Tax Fonciere and Habitation

Posted by SJ-190944 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by No.6 - 13 years ago

You're right about the prélèvement mensuel, Lynette, that's exactly what I had already mentioned previously on this thread (see page 7); but in cases of financial hardship you may also write in separately to ask to exceptionally delay payment of a bill that you cannot pay or to propose a schedule of deferred monthly payments - each case will be considered by the tax collector on its merits, however, and it's entirely at their discretion if they will accede to such a request.

I believe I read somewhere that they determine reference rateable values of properties by surveying local commercial rental rates for the same size (nos. of rooms, surface area, etc.) & type of property, reviewed annually - necessarily this will be an average and approximate figure, but sufficiently representative so as that they are not completely out of step with the local market.

Sorry no image available
Posted by lynnettejane - 13 years ago

Just one question, how do the authorities decide upon the rateable value of a place especially if they haven't ever inspected it for valuation?regards Lynnette

Sorry no image available
Posted by lynnettejane - 13 years ago

Just a word about paying by prelevement mensuel, you can't do that for this year, once you have received the bill then you can set up the direct debit for next year, at least so I was lead to believe at the tresorie, or maybe I misunderstood.regards Lynnette

Sorry no image available

Pervinca: I'm sorry to hear about your woes - I do sympathise as I know that the job situation is really not easy in this region. 

If it's any consolation, I know of people who own their property outright (i.e. no rent or mortgage payments to pay) but suddenly went from high to very low income: they now pay no income tax and zero taxe d'Habitation (although they do pay the Taxe Foncière).  But of course this was triggered by a regular income tax declaration which then automatically led to a zero income tax bill and then automatically to a zero Taxe d'Habitation bill.  In your case, I'm guessing that there might be a timing problem- i.e. insufficient elapsed time for your suddenly low income (in 2004) to have been yet taken into account by the tax authorities, perhaps?

In the meantime, according to the information on the CAF website (http://www.caf.fr/catalogue) and depending on your precise situation, you may perhaps be entitled to an immediate Allocation de Logement - this is one of the few allowances that is not dependent on your having any children - it might be worth a try, at least!   Additionally, I've just read that in cases of financial hardship you can try to play for time with the Taxe d'Habitation by writing to the tax collector (le Percepteur) at the address on the bill and asking to delay payment or propose to spread the payment over a number of monthly instalments - they will accept such requests at their discretion.

In any event, I wish you all the very best.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Pervinca - 13 years ago

No. 6   I curse the day I listened  to the notaire & bought with a SCI, he forgot to tell me the whole situation changes when you become a resident.I'm the Gérante & my friend the only other shareholder and we both have 50 percent of the shares. There's no quarrel about who should pay, we split everything down the middle, but I thought that now I'm out of a job, so no income practically,  my share of the taxe d'abit. should be less, instead it's more.

Thks for the suggestion, I shall try the CAF, but I'll go with a convinction they won't help me.    So far I've tried for chomage (when I lost my job, CDD not renewed) , free French courses & another allocation someone said I might be entitled to, all without success. I've never claimed for any benefits of any kind i n all my working life but here I just can't get a job. It's as if as soon as they know you have a flat (big and in a residential area in the centre) they give you the thumbs down sign, but if you have no income how are you to pay these taxes?    And i n fact I'm now selling the flat because I just can't afford to live in it.....

It's a bit unfair, when you've worked & saved, bought yourself a flat, paid all your dues & taxes, you don't get any help when you're going through a tough patch.

Sorree for the mini rant!  Thanks for all this info & good advice.

Sorry no image available

Rocher: No.  But see below re: means-testing/ families

Happy Days: I don't know where MikeP got his '50%-75% of a month's rental' rule of thumb from but I would reiterate my earlier warning that this tax varies considerably from one commune to another. One example I found on how it is calculated is the following:

For a property with a rateable value of €2300 p.a. and with local tax rates of 10% for the Commune, 2.5% for the 'intercommunalité', 7% for the Departement and 2% for the Region, you will pay €492 plus administration charges.

Actually in their example I make that €494.50 [plus charges] and not €492 - but it's close enough. However the point is that this represents 22% of the annual rateable value. So in your case, €2000 on €1400/m rent is quite a bit lower, but then I'm sure the official 'rateable value' doesn't quite match the commercial rent you're paying today. And, more importantly, all the above percentages will vary according to where you live. You'd best take an active interest in your local council's finances and the regional politics of it all in order to further debate the 'fairness' of this local tax, methinks...

Pervinca: if you've put the flat in the name of an SCI, it's the SCI's shareholders who pay (i.e. you and your friend) according to whatever SCI statutes have been agreed between you - that's the whole point of an SCI, the usual legal rules don't apply where inheritance and tax liability are concerned. 

Without an SCI, where 2 people live together and filing separate tax returns, it would depend entirely in whose name the flat was purchased.

In a marriage (or PACS) I believe both partners are ultimately liable. Taxe d'Habitation is also normally means-tested and large-family allowances may apply (e.g. if you have 2 or more children) - but I have a nasty feeling that such considerations may not be applicable in the case of an SCI. 

In your situation, I cannot help but think that your best bet would be to pay a visit your local CAF office - they have the ability to pay you a special allowance in cases of financial hardship, taking your outgoings (i.e. rent/mortgage/taxes/etc.) into account.  At least the CAF should be in a position to advise you about whether you can be compensated or exempted from the Taxe d'Habitation or not..

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rocher-197160 - 13 years ago

Is the Tax d'habitation more or less expensive if there are more people living in the property ?

Sorry no image available
Posted by Happy Days-188415 - 13 years ago

I'm still not sure how my Tax d'habitation is calculated to be 2000 Euros when my monthly rental is no where near that amount!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Pervinca - 13 years ago

What's the situation  re the taxe d'hab itation if 1)  you're convivants and  make separate tax déclarations, and 2) you're two people sharing the same flat and making separate tax returns?  How is the taxe d'habitation calculated?

I bought a flat with a friend with a S.C.I and we both live in it.This year  the taxe is much higher, even though I lost my job and have no income or allocations.    I went to explain this situation to the fisc in May (with  a French friend since my French is not so good) and understood I would be exempt, but the bill's just arrived and it's 200 euros _more_ than last year.... serves me right. 

Any of you experts or old hands out there know anymore ab out this?

Mille merci.

Sorry no image available

Jeanette: you will find all the answers re: TV licence in previous threads, here for example:

http://riviera.angloinfo.com/forum/topic.asp?topic_ID=21881&forum_ID=7&cat_ID=2&topic_Title=Where+can+I+buy+a+French+Television+Licence%3F

Or do AI forum search for 'TV Licence'.  If then you still have questions on this, perhaps starting another thread might be a good idea.