DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Tax Fonciere and other boring things

Posted by MGPB1936 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by lynnettejane - 14 years ago

I thought the taxe foncier was due on the 15th October with the bills going out sometime in September and that the bills for the taxe d'habitation are due now. At least I'm sure that is the information on the government taxation website. Apparently if you bought after the 1st January then the previous owner is liable for these taxes and will receive the bills. It is then up to him to contact the buyers to come to some agreement about splitting the cost for the respective months. However, I believe there has to be some agreement before the sale, which there wasn't in our case, and so far we have heard nothing. According to the Villefranche Tresorie, they don't get involved in sorting out who pays how much they just send the bills to the person who owned the property on that day. What I would like StG to tell me is how can I find out how much these taxes are this year so that we can make a comparison next year. Also what happens if the previous owner doesn't pay, would appreciate your views, regards Lynnette

Sorry no image available
Posted by scratchy - 14 years ago

It is to be paid by whoever was living there on the 1 january...

I still haven't recieved mine yet....

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 14 years ago

Is the Taxe d'Habitation for the current year or the previous year? I bought two properties last year and haven't received anything yet regarding the tax.

Lana

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 14 years ago

Sounds like the same as mine - Nice Est - see yellow pages , but you need a Dossier No. or Client Ref. No. first to hasten proceedings.

If you're prepared till tomorrow , I'll send precise address and Tel.Nos etc.

stgeorge

Sorry no image available
Posted by MGPB1936 - 14 years ago

Thanks for your advice. How would I locate my local tax office, I am in Beaulieu sur Mer?

Many thanks again.

Richard

Henry

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 14 years ago

It depends where your ' address' is ! If it's abroad , then you will have only just received the Tax Fonciere and have to the 15th December to pay. If the address is here , ( in France ) you should have already received the Tax Fonciere and still have to 15th December to pay . Regarding the Taxe d'Habitation - you should have received this sometime at the beginning of October and had to the 17th November to pay.

Failing all this ( these forms may well be sitting in your letter box if they've been sent ! ) you should get in touch with your nearest local Tax Office and tell them where you are so you can defer payment and possible penalties if you know for sure they've been sent ! To be quite honest , if they have your address , they will eventually be in touch with you - I've received these forms in the springtime in previous years and never worried about it.

stgeorge