DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Taxi driver

Posted by hilaryh - Created: 5 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by thetopofthetop - 5 years ago

taxi driver is not a bad job, do not worry for them

ok they do a lot of hours but they earn a lot

do not worry for the rate of the licence, they will sell it more after few years ;-)

in UK, US.. often you have only one model of car
here you have the choice and at the end normally you have an official rate
why instead of to buy a skoda, citroen.... (few do it) most buy a mercedes class E or S or 4*4... for a cost of 60 000 up to 150 000 euros !!! just for the pleasure and because they earn a lot in the french riviera

as guest, I just request a clean car and confortable, I don't car about the brand... so please taxi drivers, buy a cheapest car and respect rates and may be decrease

it's true as you mentioned, there are a lot of young companies in this business so I always check in advance if they are serious or not (I"m working in the tourism here since 15 years)
but if a lot of companies were created (ok they do not pay the licence but it's more difficult for them to find guests because they can not wait in the street), it's because taxis are too expensive, not very well dressed, do not speak english often, and do not care about the service
so they need an update in their job ;-) 

Sorry no image available
Posted by LovedaCote - 5 years ago

I think the Lady/Man has had a relationship w/ a taxi driver for years and as a valuable client, has kept his fares reasonable for the years of cominment and wants to start another one.

Now other posters recommend a business to do the job for the same or a little cheaper than the average and/or set rate,but, will they be here in 3, 4 or 5 years? Businesses come and go here so fast (that big URRSAF payment in the 3rd year is the death of a many) and these taxi drivers, as bad as the fares are, pay up to €150,000 for the license up front.

I hope that clears e-thing up..

Sorry no image available
Posted by IoanaB - 5 years ago

Why don't you try the Cannes express bus? Is quite fast and way cheaper.

Sorry no image available

I know this page and it's a little bit helpful but I will suggest everybody to add about +20/30% of the rate.
local people as me know taxis in the french riviera are expensive and often do not respect rules.
but sometimes they respect but rates are not the same of this page because taxi will add extras for 4th person, or for each luggages.... below the list of destination, it's mentioned "suplement" = toll, luggages...

for cannes, they said = 69-72, it's the reality all tourists paid 80-90 euros
monaco 69-74 = 85-90 euros 

many people book with a private company now because they know in advance the exact rates and no surcharge.... (but for nice center, I suggest a taxi because it's easier and 25-35 euros) or buses of courses

Sorry no image available
Sorry no image available

@ lovedacote :
you mentioned cannes to valbonne for 50 euros but we speak about cannes to nice,that mean a longer trip.
I will be very happy if you find an official company (taxi or transfer company with private not shared transfer) for 50/60 euros to airport and do not charge extra cost if 4 people or many luggages.... you can not.
Biomotion is one of the cheapest for 70 euros (I am sure we could find other with the same price)

@helenmac :
I checked your website : friend in Nice
it's like a blog, she do nothing herself, she just offer a selection of companies (there is a selection of activities, that can help people of course).
People can book and she will transfer the order to one of his partner and she win the commission.
No adress, no official number of agreement for transport...it's just a young lady who win commission from tourists and english community
profile : http://dirigeant.societe.com/dirigeant/Mira.GUCHAN.94238603.html 

Sorry no image available
Posted by Helenmac - 5 years ago

Dhuh...it's auto spell driving me crazy here

www.friend-in-france.com. 

Sorry no image available

Ooops! www.friend-ifrance.com.  

Sorry no image available

I try www.friend - in - France's.com for friendly reliable reasonably priced airport transfers and much more.  0699162233

Sorry no image available

Do not know the price for a taxi to the airport, but cannes-valbonne is €45 (no bags). This is a pretty much set price and there will be one for the airport run.

Biomotion, after looking at the website is very, very expensive for a huge portion of tourists as well as 2nd home owners here.

Walk into the tourist office, they will give you all the info you need to know.