DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

teaching english - advice on books wanted

Posted by Paul Carmel-190537 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

Can anyone recommend a good book via which to teach an adult English? I've heard about a few but they either seem to revolve around group activities, and I'll be teaching her on her own, or else they require you to buy teachers books, student books, workbooks, tapes and so forth.  She wants the emphasis to be on reading and writing rather than speaking. Does anyone know of a book laid out in lessons, covering the different tenses and so forth, with photocopiable exercises, which I could work through with her?  I've got a French book 'The Ultimate French Review and Practice' which is excellent, and really I'm looking for something along the same lines in English.  Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated, unfortunately I can't go into a bookshop to browse through myself!  Thanks in advance,

Nicky

Sorry no image available

2 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 2)

Sorry no image available
Posted by TerryT-188383 - 14 years ago

You could try a book called "Essential Grammar In Use" by Raymond Murphy published by Cambridge University Press. You can get it from a shop in Antibes at 17 av Gambetta called i Media Bookshop, ph04 97 21 10 80. The lady who runs it is very helpful and fluent in English and she'd be able to recommend others. I'm sure she could arrange to have something sent to you. Terry.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Vivienne-190903 - 14 years ago

Hi,

I spent a year teaching in Italy for Inlingua and did my Business Tefl in London where i taught at Summer schools over here before and after going to Italy.

The books we used were 'Headway'. The courses do seem to based around group activities but you can adapt exercises for individual tuition.

I hope this is useful,

Viv