DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

The new European Sickness Insurance card

Posted by MikeP-180526 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

Despite the hype about this and the publicity it has received,  it is not available yet as not all the countries concerned have signed the convention.  This is what I have just been told when I called the CPAM on 0820 904 130.  I am putting the number here in case anyone else wants to verify that they get the same story. The lady was most helpful and pleasant and explained that it is still necessary to travel woth old E-111 form.

They cannot even take advance requests for the new card - she told me to call back in mid-July.

This is the information from their website www.ameli.fr

quote:Disponible en France à partir de juin 2004, la carte européenne d'assurance maladie remplacera définitivement le formulaire E 111 et d’autres formulaires (E 110, E 119, E 128) utilisés jusqu'à présent dans le cadre de séjours temporaires en Europe.

If anyone has further information,  please post it here.

Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by gerbil-194494 - 14 years ago

As I said earlier "All EU countries have agreed the use of the card; some countries (incl. UK) have got permission to delay implementation until no later than December 2005."It was just that France indicated they would be available from the first day.I've hear rumours that the card may be being issued in some regions.

Sorry no image available
Posted by shaunjarvis - 14 years ago

This comes as no surprise at all. French courts ignore the Brussels/Lugano Conventions provisions if they can (be warned those of you embroiled in English proceedings with property in an EC State) and try getting hold of a logbook for your English car once you give a French address to the blighters in Swansea. It doesn't help explaining that one is on holiday.

Sorry no image available

We've now each received a "Certificate Provisoire de Remplacement de la Carte Europeene d'Assurance Maladie" with a three month validity for the certificate. Just a laser-printed A4 sheet with name and social security number and with no address together with a set of notes for each country we said we'd be visiting dated last updated 01/06/04. The section on "Informations relatives a la carte": number of card and expiry date are blank.No indication as to whether a full card will be sent out when this certificate expires or whether we'll need to re-apply.

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

In fact, it doesn't really matter whether you have the card/certificate or not,  because in some countries they will treat you anyway as long as you can prove that you are an EU citizen (proving that you are a resident non citizen entiteld to treatment might be more tricky).

In the worst case, you pay up front and you will be refunded when you claim back in France.

Sorry no image available

I've just had the following response from my CPAM in response to a request yesterday for the card for a trip to the UK later this month:la carte européenne n'étant pas disponible pour l'instant, je vous envoie un certificat provisoire pour une durée de 3 mois accompagné d'informations pratiques.

Sorry no image available

I would just suspect the necessary administration procedures and possibly the physical cards themselves are not yet available.Presumably they will either continue to issue the E111 or more likely issue a temporary document in place of the card which will result in a card being sent to you when it is available.

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

What I'm trying to say (I thought it was clear) is that according the lady I spoke to this morning at the CPAM (the Alpes Maritimes Social Security office) the card is not yet being issued in France.

Sorry no image available

There is info here http://riviera.angloinfo.com/information/1/healthcard.aspNot quite sure what you are trying to say. Are you saying the card isn't available in France or isn't being issued in the UK? All EU contries have agreed the use of the card; some countries (incl. UK) have got permission to delay implementataion until no later than December 2005. The E111 is still valid for use although any french-issued E111 expire a year after issue.