DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

The smell of smoke on the coast

Posted by MSM2000UK-181816 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

Hi,

I live in Monaco and throughout this evening, there has been a strong smell of smoke wafting around. I heard about 6 or 7 fire engines heading towards the direction of Roquebrune/Cap Martin/Menton, etc however cant actually see any flames from our balconies.

Can someone let me know if they know whats been going on around the area this evening.

Thanks

Max

Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by MSM2000UK-181816 - 14 years ago

Thank you for the information and my sympathy to those who live in Pellion.

Thank you also for letting me know what all the smoke in the evenings is. I mean we never have it during the daytime, just at night which is annoying as it means u cant go to the Open Air cinema in Monaco without taking an umbrella and an oxygen tank!

Sorry no image available
Posted by dublinmike-182617 - 14 years ago

As of Friday 8th at 5.30 the fires are still raging and it sounds like Luceram is going to be evacuated. the main fire is just near Luceram but smaller ones are being started by cinders floating on the breeze. Those of you in Monaco and Nice are getting the evening smoke and ash which is blowing Northwards during the Day.

The Canadairs are working as hard as they can but really the fire seems to be overcoming them. Personally we're fine, just chasing hot ash around now and again but for those nearer it must be hell indeed living so close to the fire for almost a week now.

Sorry no image available

I noticed last night that it was very smokey. The Sporting had something going on last night and so they had the outside lights on with meant it was possible to see exactly how smokey it was as the light was shining through it.

As of yet though, no one has spoken of where the fires are coming from that are in Monaco at the moment. Apparently there were problems in Bordighera a few days ago, and also in Sospel but these are yet to be confirmed.

Max

Sorry no image available
Posted by daisy2-185007 - 14 years ago

msm2000:  It was VERY frightening near Monaco, difficult to breath (I still have a sore throat). Last night smoke was wafting about again with ash settling everywhere - I dread to think what it must be like for those further inland.

Sorry no image available
Posted by wendy-179831 - 14 years ago

Hi Mike,
Thanks for sharing those pics. How are things there today? Fire under control? Your house OK?

Sorry no image available

Yup, still burning strong with the smoke now completely in Nice direction.

5.30am here's a picture of the morning sky ablaze (113kb) Big pic.

Mike

Sorry no image available

The fire near Peillon IS under control as of about 4.30 Wednesday, but an even bigger blaze has been gaining control of the Luceram/ Piera Cava/L'Escarene area since 4pm Weds.

The Canadairs (thankfully for us) focused on the Peillon fire probably because of many more people living nearby but this allowed the other fire to gain hold. At one time 5 Canadairs and 5 choppers were deployed. the fire appeared totally out 5 times, but with strong winds it kept re-igniting. It was not a big fire but it was in a very large forest, and slap bang in it is ...our house.

We've spent a very anxious night on the farm surrounded by extremely flammable pines and chasing down lighted embers carried on the breeze from the Luceram blaze. At 2am it was close to 'move out' time as the smoke was beginning to make breathing impossible.

The fire is getting worse by the hour. As of 5.30am the wind has changed direction and some of the smoke is heading over Nice. As the smoke clear now and again it's possible to see that this is a very big fire by now without the Canadair cover overnight. However much of the area is very lightly inhabited.

I've put some pictures of the Peillon fire smoke and the Canadairs plus the start of the ongoing Luceram fire here

Mike

Sorry no image available

The thing is that 6 fire engines left monaco in the direction i stated, this evening, not lunchtime! There was only smoke this evening and only a few minutes before the fire engines went past one of the balconies hence something happened somewhere this evening around Monaco.

I mean i live about 20 metres away from Jimmyz and could not even see it from the other balcony about 2 hours ago due to the smoke!

Someone must know whats going on so either those people dont use AI, or their homes have burnt down and so they cant get to their computers!

Max

Sorry no image available
Posted by lindsey-183331 - 14 years ago

Hi Max,

I was wondering the same myself.  A friend in Carnoles could also smell and see the smoke, and told me that the Canadairs were at the beach there this afternoon.

Under French News on Angloinfo there is a link to an article which says that the authorities have stated that the fire north of Nice is under control.

Lindsey

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 14 years ago

Forest fire in Peillon , requiring 4 Canadairs to take water in Beaulieu Bay from lunchtime today !

You should be OK in Monaco though - there's no way they'll let the Jardin Exotique go up in flames !

stgeorge