DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

The St Paul Mosquito Massacre

Posted by AAG - Created: 15 years ago
0 0

So we moved here from the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />UK and life is fantastic. We love it. EXCEPT for the mosquitoes!! We are getting eaten alive. Does anyone know where one can buy a mosquito net?

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Scratching-and-sore in St Paul

Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Runaway-182887 - 15 years ago

I know why the little sods don't come here, they'd drown!

Sleep well Les, maybe if you hadn't upset Treize so much he'd catch them for you J

xx

Sorry no image available
Posted by lespalmiers - 15 years ago

just wait till you try and sleep tonight . . . . .

zzzzzzhhhhhhhhhhhhh ........... ah .....bugger!!!!

Regards, Les

Sorry no image available
Posted by richardr-181963 - 15 years ago

Mozzies - is this an out-of town thing as I encountered one in Antibes Fontonne) back at the beginning of April but since being in Nice (near the port) from fairly shortly after, haven't been troubled again. Or is trouble just around the corner?

Sorry no image available

Yes, I did notice one or two - plus a few other overly large insects that I wouldn't want to get too close to.  Oh, and ants the size of our (UK) house flies but at least they were entertaining to watch when they decided to share our picnic with us and the most beautiful dragonflies I've ever seen up close J

xx

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rosbif-185958 - 15 years ago

bah! mosquetos are the least of your problems !  Have you seen the size of these frelons?  Look like giant wasps about 5cm long.  You can't even zap these things with that "Spéciale Pompier" nest destroying spray that you get from DIY shops.  They have stings about 3mm long and look like they're going to hit you with 10ccs of venom.  And also, these damn sanglier just ate my automatic arosage AGAIN grrrrr!  One or two mosquetos - pah!

;)

Rich

Sorry no image available

I wish you'd all told me this sooner. I've just come back from a week in the Var and I've brought home a few souveniers I hadn't banked on.... lots of great big red, itchy lumps. Still, it was worth every dab of calamine lotion and I can't wait till I come back  J

xx

I'll have to get a certain someone to read all this, the spray he uses nearly choked me to death, never mind the evil little biting monsters.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Rosbif-185958 - 15 years ago

Well it's funny you should all be talking about this. I just got back from M. Bricolage where I purchased 5x1m length of mosquetaire (mozzy net) and then off to Laugier for some nice thin bits of timber (12x12mm cross section 2.4m long x 9) jst enough to build some mosqueto nets for my kitchen windows !

The netting is a coupla euros a meter and the timber is rather pricey in M. Bricolage, and Laugier was only slightly better, but still this is much cheaper than buying those nice trendy roller blind type ones...

The plan is, you cut the woodas if you were going to make 2 frames per window, cut the net so that once you lay it over one frame, it sticks out about an inch on each side, then glue it on, and nail the second frame over the top.  This is held in place on the outside of the window using your favourite hooks (for easy removal when necessary - you know the things that look like  L   with a screw in the long part.)

then, get one of those Baygone electric mosqueto zappers, turn it on and Robert's your father's brother

the /net/ cost of that is quite cheap i reckon

I thought that might help

Cheers all :)

Sorry no image available
Posted by lespalmiers - 15 years ago

AAG,

I got my net from IKEA (yes we do have one in Brittany ish!) and I know you have them down there.

BUT, I am very pleased to report that I haven't yet seen one of the little blighters up here this season - these short cold snaps we are getting in winter seem to be killing them off, maybe that, or its the smell as I become more "native!"

Regards, Les

Sorry no image available
Posted by fastfranky - 15 years ago

Let's get this straight, there is no problem with mosquitos if you follow this method.

Drink large quantities of Tanquery Gin & Indian tonic water. Keep swallowing until such a time that your sweat smells of Quinine, then the little bastards will steer well clear of you. This was the method used by the British settlers in India which is why the name "Indian" tonic. The Quinine actually came from Brazil but its presence kept the insects at bay and saved the British Raj. I tried it whilst on the Far East run with the British Merchant Navy and it works, ruins your liver, but you got no problem with the mozzys. The Gin makes the tonic drinkable..........

Sorry no image available
Posted by topaz-183432 - 15 years ago

hello all:

Tell me more about mosquitoes in the area please!  We are Canadian and know lots about these little biting things, but weren't aware they were such a plague in the south of France. We are planning on a 3 month stay in Cannes from Feb to April. Will we encounter them at that time do you think in Cannes or are they found more in rural areas?

Thanks for any replies.