DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Thinking of making the move!

Posted by Sam L - Created: 13 years ago
0 0

Hi,

I'm thinking of making the move out to the Riviera next year, I'm a single person so will be going on my own- does anyone have any tips on important things to consider? I have family in the area so will not be totally alone, however it's very daunting!

I plan to do an intensive language course when I get there to improve my french, can anyone recommend a good school? I'm 24 so no kiddies classes please!

Where are good places to look for jobs etc? What about rented acommadation?

I've recently had to give up my passion of horses (due to the excessive costs!) so would love to get back into it in France, does anyone know good places to go riding?

Or if there is anyone out there that has made the move on thier own I'd love to hear from you!

Thanks,

Sam

Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by ejh - 13 years ago

Hi,

If you don't have a job here yet, why not go somewhere else? If you are set on France, there are much nicer areas, depending on your interests. If you want nice weather however, then maybe this is a good place. I recommend you don't live in Nice. The people are of lower quality. I'm in Nice and counting down the days until I move to a new home in two months out of Nice. However, if you don't have transport, then Nice is better. Depending on how you try to settle in on the CdA, the day to day tasks of establishing a home here can be exhausting. I moved here alone 4 months ago and am still settling in. Its very painful and lonely. I knew it would be tough, but honestly its much worse. I've got to give it a year, then will decide if I stay, but I expect things to improve (and in fact they are already). Just don't expect it to be great right from the start.

Fortunately, I had a job offer here before the move. For me, it was move to the CdA or not move to France. I'm not from the EU, so I could not come here without the job offer.

However, since you are from the UK, I think you will be fine, there are so many British people here, that you should have a good support system. For non-British English speakers like myself, this is actually a big turn off, as it seems the English are everywhere. I guess the weather must be very bad up north, cause I still don't understand why there are some my UK residents here, but it makes it easier for me to get by with English until my French comes up to speed!

Good luck to you.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Sam L - 13 years ago

Hi,

Wow, I'm glad so many people have had a good experience of moving, it is quite a scary prospect but life is full of challenges I guess!

Does anyone here know any good recruitment agencies in the area? Might be worth starting the search now....!

Thanks again, I'll keep you posted on my progress!

Sam

Sorry no image available
Posted by shane- - 13 years ago

hey sam L. go for it. i made the move and spoke barely any french.never heard a word of it since school 6years ago,and my leaving exam only scored a D-!! lets just say i had no interest then.i'm only 22.i didnt even move to france to learn.just wanted a new experience and meet new people,and put something different on my cv,working abroad always looks good.i thought Nice was much smaller place,i came on my own,didnt know about this website til i arrived,knew nobody here,didnt book accomodation,only had 600€ and to make it worse arrived at 10 at night when it was dark!!met people in a pub that night and ended up in villefranche(the next town over.!)that was 8months ago now.still havent seen any of my family since so i'm returning home in November for the winter season and to see them.at least i enjoyed myself and was the general manager of a 2star hotel in the south of france for 8months,where i live and get my meals with the family......................................some things just work out..........go for it!

s k

Sorry no image available
Posted by cfischmann-195468 - 13 years ago

Do it !... and don't think back. I went to Australia when I was 24, in 1964. By ship, mind you, 45 days from Genoa Italy to Melbourne. Not much air travel at the time. I didn't speak any English. It became the greatest adventure in my life. Among many others to follow. To migrate to the unknown is a unique experience, incredibly fulfilling. If it's in your mind today, you will always regret not to have done it.

I am now retired in Nice. What a beautiful journey it was.

Drop me a line if you need some help. cfischmann@aol.com  

Sorry no image available

Do it !... and don't think back. I went to Australia when I was 24, in 1964. By ship, mind you, 45 days from Genoa Italy to Melbourne. Not much air travel at the time. I didn't speak any English. It became the greatest adventure in my life. Among many others to follow. To migrate to the unknown is a unique experience, incredibly fulfilling. If it's in your mind today, you will always regret not to have done it.

Sorry no image available

Sorry no image available
Posted by donnahelyer - 13 years ago

I have now been here for a year and I am really happy!!!!

Things weren't like this at first, I moved here with my partner for work reasons. We have been away from home for 19mths now, we started in Paris then went to Germany and here we are.... 2yrs ago I would have not believed it if some had said I would be here now.

If you have the guts! to go for it, You might love it and it could all work out great OR you could hate it, so just go back home ( if its that easy for you)

When we first moved here we lived in the centre of Nice and I hated it. Too noisy, to dirty everthing..... We only had each other which helps, plus that was the reason I was here, to support my partner. Thanks to AI I have made alot of friends, not by asking if anyone wanted to be my friend. We sold a snownoard to a couple last December and Saturday night we were at there house warming party. So you can meet people in alsorts of situations, then you meet friends through friends and all of a sudden it starts to fell like home. It takes a while but you will get there in the end.

I am from the Wales(23yrs old) and I still miss home, I miss things like food, pubs, friends and family but I also Love living here, the 2 summers I have excperienced have been fab and I can't wait to go skiing again.

I don't speak french YET! and yes I have had alot of stick for it, which might be why I haven't bothered to learn, plus I have been busy so the last thing on my mind was to learn french. Now that I am happy and I feel secure my newyears resolution will be, to have a lesson a week, I will enjoy learning french as I am enjoying my life here, and hey I want to stay here forever so I have got loads of time.

I met a friend 1 month ago, she turned 19yrs last month and moved here 3mths ago (from Denmark) not knowing anyone, lucky she had a job to come to, she had a job in a restaurant, near where I live (Theoule) I got talking to her about cheese of all things and now we are friends. I think she is very brave, she loves it here and is taking each day as it comes.

So as I said before go for it, you only have one life, one chance....So give it one good go and it just might work out for you.......GOOD LUCK!

Sorry no image available
Posted by TonyP-191937 - 13 years ago

Well, I quite like Cannes. Its not Paris, but I find it a pleasant enough place. Its fairly secure and the inhabitants are not too stressed out.

In Cannes, a large proportion of the properties are second residences, so the locals tend to view you either as a year rounder, or a visitor, not whether you are foreign or French.

Many of the 'locals' there are in fact French people from another region, or Belgians.

The French are not really against speaking English, its just that most of them didnt learn it at school, and are still trying to get around to learning it.

Tony

Sorry no image available
Posted by AFO - 13 years ago

I have read this forum that I’ve recently discovered, and with great interest. (Impressed with the quality!)

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I have about the same problems/questions as Sam L. except that I’m about 20+ yrs and I am considering staying for only for 3-6 mnths ...- for a start, (and before the high season starts). If successful, maybe I’ll consider moving her on semi-permanent basis. I will not be looking for employment.

I am thinking of staying in Nice, because alone and without a car, I need a high density area, with the more options that follows. My ‘project’ is to learn French and to learn about the French culture and society.

However, after reading “Where have all the tourist gone?” I’m beginning to have second thoughts. This is my second visit to Nice, and I must admit, it’s not the nicest place. I’ve /am now staying in Rue Massena, and there are way too many tourists here. You hardly get the feeling that there are any locals around.

Everything extremely expensive (no China imports?) and it’s very hard to get by with insufficient French. The French people here are not too friendly or helpful either, and I’m worried about spending too much time on dealing with practical matters. It’s amazing considering the contribution the tourism gives to the economy, how difficult it is to get by with only English. It seems like the French refuses to acknowledge that English is the #1 international language.

Nice gives a slummy impression, many beggars, addicts, and too many of the locals looks like they belong to the poorer side of the society. (And in spite of all this, they say the prices in Nice has increased very much lately-?).

So my questions are: Like Sam: am I mad to consider a stay??

Any alternative places to Nice, that I haven’t thought of?

Staying for 3-6 months; should I go for a resident hotel, - or rent a studio? (Budget consideration are of high importance.) 

If renting a studio, should I use an agency? What area of Nice?  Musicians? 

How much “practical matters” will I have to deal with, if renting?

For me, it’s paramount to have Internet access (ADSL). Will it be possible to set my self up in a studio-apartment without to much hassle and additional expenses?

What is the climate like in December, January, February, March?

It seems like so many people share my slightly negative impression of Nice. It’s difficult to meet and get to know French people, and it’s easy to feel lost and lonely here. I can’t even find anyone to ask about my most basic questions here.

-By all means, I do see the advantages too: climate, the French directness, the proximity to the Italian border, the pluralism of an international atmosphere, trips with the local train, getting to know the characteristics of French culture, etc, etc..

Any thoughts, comments, advice, would be highly appreciated! I’m here for another week, any suggestions on where to go/do before I go back?

AFO

Sorry no image available
Posted by Sam L - 13 years ago

Hi,

Many thanks for all your replies, they've certainly given me something to think about! (Oh and to that very helpful person "6" -"Get a grip?"- sorry, I didn't realise that I'm not allowed to be curious about moving to another country, I thought the whole point of this board it to ask questions...?!)

With regards to work, my industry is marketing/sales, however I'm really not fussed about what I would be doing if I moved to France. Yes I agree the language would be a problem, my French is not bad- I speak a bit and understand a lot, which is why I'd need to go to some sort of class to improve it when I arrived. So in terms of work, I wouldn't be expecting much at first!

I do have French family in Nice and the surrounding area (however I've lived in the UK all my life- hence my language skills are not brilliant!), so yes I'd definitley look to them for more info, but it's nice to see many of you have done it on your own.

Many thanks!

Sam