Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


third party tenants insurance/house???

Posted by jaguarsville - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

1 reply

Sorry no image available
Posted by No.6 - 13 years ago

If you are a tenant of an unfurnished property (i.e. not a lodger in a bedsit or holiday accommodation etc.) your rental contract will no doubt stipulate that you are obliged to take out an 'assurance mulitirisque habitation' (= building+contents insurance). Essentially, this is to cover the landlord for damage to the property, including the interior surfaces. By law, the tenant has to bear the cost of such insurance. In France, however, house insurance invariably also includes contents cover under one single contract - that bit concerns your belongings, so you may choose a contract that offers you more or less cover to suit.

The price of such insurance will vary according to the insurance company chosen, the surface area and the optional contract extras chosen - for a one-bedroom studio flat, you should reckon on around €80 p.a.

To get a better idea and more examples, speak to an English-speaking insurance broker (look them up in the AI information pages) or get an automated & comparative quote from a competitive on-line insurer such as http://www.direct-assurance.fr/