DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Timber Decking popular?

Posted by Nigey-197432 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Nigey-197432 - 13 years ago

Hi Sam

Sadly,were still in the UK.  We are moving still, but after loking into costs, we feel that we will have to move to Britanny, then hopefully if I get my own way, move down south later.  Thanks for letting me know, and its a shame I can't do the work.

Sorry no image available
Posted by samc-200747 - 13 years ago

Hi Nigey

Can I ask, did u ever move to the south of France and set up a decking company? The reason I ask is that my boss is interested in someone doing some decking for him. Space about 70m2. Please let me know and then I can let you know more info etc

Best regards

Sam

Sorry no image available

Hi again!  Hey, youve started the ball rollin' havent you???  Well, at the rate its going, by the time I get over, I'll have more customers than I can shake a stick at!!!! Well, hope so anyway!  I hate it in the UK!!!  Found out yesterday that my parents in law have sold the house and are moving to France in 2 weeks!  Shame though that theyre going to Brittany cos its too hot in the south.  Nige

Sorry no image available
Posted by jjoepage - 13 years ago

I am afraid you'll have to get in line taff; I've commissioned him first. ;)Its all good

Sorry no image available

Hi Taff  Hey another job offer!  Excellent!  Im not sure as to when we will be over, because of a course I want to complete, and various financial ties which have to be sorted out first.  It might be for 12 months, maybe longer.  Im not sure.  Thanks for the offer, and I would gladly do it for you if you still need it, and Im not too late! Nige

Sorry no image available
Posted by taff-192803 - 13 years ago

Hi Nigey,  We will need some timber deck work done at some point early next year.  let me know if you get up and running?

Sorry no image available

Hi Michael  Thanks for your reply.  I found your thoughts helpful and encouraging!  I know that I want to carry on fitting timber decking, but the last thing I want to do is not find enough work and then have to come back to the UK...believe me, thats the last thing I want to do!  Im just training to be more versatile in the work place, and also I should then be able to buy cheap(ish) property and renovate it with my new skills that Ive learnt.  Well, thats the theory anyway! Thanks again  Nige

Sorry no image available
Posted by michaelh-184806 - 13 years ago

i know lots of people who have decking here. if you are going to change your plans or go and expensively retrain yourself based on one response from an anonymous person, then you may be better off if you took a course in business research or marketing!

you sound enthusiastic and keen to work in France, dont  be put off by one response. And red tape here for a one man business offering a service is not bad at all. I advise do more research, talk to the garden centres, garden designers, advertise in mags and suchlike in order to see if there is a market here?

good luck

Sorry no image available

Hi David  Thanks for your reply.  I have looked into  starting a business in France, and what you say is true.  I know I will have to work very hard to make a living, and that I will never make the same money that I could in the UK.  Which is a shame!  The red tape is going to be something Im not used to, but Im pretty determined to make it work!! Thanks again  Nige

Sorry no image available
Posted by davidl-181802 - 13 years ago

If you do intend to start your own business down here make sure you look into all the ins and outs re paperwork and starting your own company. It isn't as easy as in the UK, and I wouldn't reccommend working "black". I'm not trying to put you off but just feel that its one of the biggest hurdles.
***Google is our friend. ***