DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Tips on buying a house with a pool??

Posted by 2004sparkles-193110 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

4 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 4)

Sorry no image available
Posted by 2004sparkles-193110 - 14 years ago

Thanks to you all for the very informative replies - now printing off so I am forewarned and forearmed. Glad I asked the question now!

Cheers

;-) Sparkles

Sorry no image available
Posted by NuttR - 14 years ago

I guess it's worth remembering that you ain't gonna do any work "extending" your pool.  So - if it's a big pool you want, either buy a house with exactly the pool you want, or no pool at all.  Also - I would suggest you decide how deep you want your pool.  A lot of "prefab" pools tend to be shallower than the others.  This is great if you want to play polo or just stand around in the pool chatting etc, but not great for diving.  A deep pool lets you dive and swim underwater but it's not so friendly to small kids... 

Also check how loud the pump system is (although this is changeable).  If you use "tempo" for your electricity, you'll be running the pump all night in the summer (when you tend to have windows open) so noise could be important...

We then come across the old chlorine / salt water / UV / bromine question.  I'm an old fashioned chlorine fan myself but some people prefer other sanitisation techniques - and there can be costs associated with running some of these other methods.

Another important thing is the sun exposure - if you have trees blocking the sun, then the pool will be noticeably cooler than "exposed" pools.  (You'll also have more work getting leaves out the pool at the end of the season). 

Possibly the most important thing to look for these days is the security aspect.  Do you have kids?  Can they swim?  Is the pool fenced off or covered?  If not, can you add a fence..?

Then there's other stuff that's nice to have like heating / slides & diving boards / current generators etc.  A robot is nice to have too (Polaris being possibly the most effective).  If you want to have these things, make sure you can add them if they're not already there. 

Sorry no image available
Posted by dublinmike-182617 - 14 years ago

Since a nice pool can add as much as 100K to the value of the home, it's not something to be taken lightly. All pools are extremely difficult to repair and can cost as much as a new one if there are problems with it.

You really must hire an expert surveyor to look at a pool. They can suffer from 'sliding' if the foundations are not right, it can float if the water table is high and allowed to reach the pool, the pump plant must be as new as possible so that you can benefit from the power savings that newer pumps can bring.

Don't be fooled by a sparkling pool, it can hide a myriad of problems.

That's the bad news, the good news is that I had never met anyone who had a serious problem with a pool here, and any work I've personally seen being carried out has been extremely good. To a standard that you simply wouldn't see in Florida or Spain.

So I wouldn't expect any problems, but if one or two are found you can negotiate the repair cost in your price.

Enjoy the summer!!!

Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by snowqueen-191196 - 14 years ago

No one else has replied so here would be my tip. Get a good builder (not necessarily easy to find!) to look at the pool. He should be able to tell if the pool was correctly installed to take into account of the land fall and volume of water when filled. Perhaps a surveyer can also check this? Another thing to ask could be the name of the firm who supplied the pool and who installed it. If installed by a qualified builder, the pool should be covered by the builder's insurance (assurance decennale??).

I'm not an expert by any means so hope my reply may prompt others.

Best of luck