DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Tiscali offer of phone calls and ADSL for €30

Posted by James Morgan - Created: 13 years ago
0 0

This offer is available from Tiscali.  For €30 you get a month's calls in france at no extra charge and 2k ADSL.

Calls to the UK are 4c per minute and places like SA, 18c. 

It looks a good offer, I was wondering if anyone has experience of this ?

Sorry no image available

7 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 7)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Squeezy-189941 - 13 years ago

I have a line length of 4.2k from the exchange and although it is said you can get 1mb up to 6k, France telecom will only le me have 512kb.Dave

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 13 years ago

No really reliable information exists for future implementation as this is in part a commercial secret of the operators.

This site maintained by the French regulatory authority gives a good FAQ on the overall subject of degroupae.  Look at question no. 8

Sorry no image available
Posted by JohnD-185075 - 13 years ago

quote:You can still have blinding 2 Mb/s Internet and free national phone calls being only partially degrouped (which is the vast majority of the Menton-Nice-Cannes-Grasse basin)id=quote>Is there a way of checking when (if ever) degroupage will be coming to your area? Where I live (Mougins-le-Haut) we're limited to Internet connection speeds of 512 kb/s for the moment, which is great for general browsing, but not for downloading large ISO images etc.

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 13 years ago

not quite rigt Squeezy.  Total degroupage is necessary for the higher speeds (6Mb/s) and TV services.

You can still have blinding 2 Mb/s Internet and free national phone calls being only partially degrouped (which is the vast majority of the Menton-Nice-Cannes-Grasse basin)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Squeezy-189941 - 13 years ago

But only if you live in a city that is unbundled (dégroupage) Nice and Sophia, according to the map on Free.fr, are the only ones in PACA, but Toulon is due this year.Dave

Sorry no image available
Posted by Miss Varna - 13 years ago

And with the Free Box (see www.free.fr) you get ADSL, calls in France and cable TV for 30 Euros.

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 13 years ago

I'm not saying it's not a good offer but it depends on your circumstances.

It would have cost us EUR 14 more per month than the current ADSL Tiscali connection we have,  which is quite fast enough.  That E. 14 includes the rental of some type of box - I didn't understand what it was but apparently it is obligatory.

It wouldn't have benefited us as we hardly make any phone calls in France, and we only pay 1c/min to anywhere in Europe and 1.8c/min to SA with other operators.  For someone who made a lot of calls in France it might be a good deal.

What I can say about Tiscali is that we have experienced very few problems with them and their customer support is good - certainly beats some of the horror stories I've heard about some other operators.