DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

to buy or not to buy.....

Posted by gumboot-193095 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by scotsgirl-194444 - 14 years ago

Sigh - don't we already have a thread on this? Sounds like heresay to me. But, I wouldn't be suprised if the French Government do something like this to get people to pay tax on their rentals. Odd that all these apartments are apparently lying empty while all the private rental vacation web sites have thousands of ads for rentals in France, mostly posted by non-French!

Sorry no image available
Posted by scotsgirl-194444 - 14 years ago

Sigh - don't we already have a thread on this? Sounds like heresay to me. But, I wouldn't be suprised if the French Government do something like this to get people to pay tax on their rentals. Odd that all these apartments are apparently lying empty while all the private rental vacation web sites have thousands of ads for rentals in France, mostly posted by non-French!

Sorry no image available
Posted by me_2003 - 14 years ago

maybe the prices will start to go down...once the new tax law for second homes starts to have an effect.

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 14 years ago

You should buy if you really want your own place that you can fix up according to your tastes and if you find something in an area that you really like. You won't be throwing your money away on rent and will have something that should go up in value with the passage of time.

Not too long ago I bought an apartment in New York for $64,000 during a period when everyone was saying, "Oh, prices have really gone up in the last few years--to bad you didn't buy sooner." Anyway, I only lived there for a few years when I decided to leave New York. I sold the place last year for $129,000.

In 2002 I bought an apartment here that no one seemed interested in because it was really a mess inside and needed a kitchen and bathroom installed; the exterior was in tip-top condition though. The owner had already lowered the original asking price and when I made an offer it was accepted. I got a very good deal and if I were to sell it tomorrow it would be worth way more than what I paid. I also bought another apartment last year and think I got a good deal.

There are still deals out there, but you have to actually ENJOY looking at properites. You'll see lots of rough places, but you might find an agent who starts getting a feel for what you're after and who may lead you to the right place. So if you really want a place of your own--go for it!

Lana

Sorry no image available
Posted by me_2003 - 14 years ago

hey,

remember that you must use your own judge like in all things....you do not  know how is replying to this posts...

...we could all be estate agents and our lifes depend you buying and buying...

prices will not go down...if they keep going up is another story...

remember if you spend 100,000€ on a house you will have to sell it for aleast 115,000€ before you make a cent in profit....

why?

you buy from the agent at 100,000€ of which 6-8% is agents fee. (the seller gets about 95,000€)

you pay approx 108,000€ as you have to pay the notaire.

time to sell:

you paid 108,000€ when you bought, then you must pay aleast 6-8% to the agent to sell hence the market price should be 112,000€..

..but the taxman will think you made 8,000€ profit on the sales...also you are rich (as buy and sell houses) so you must pay loads of tax...let's say the tax man want 2,000€...

in the end to cover your costs you must sell at 115,000€ to make a cent...

good luck...

Sorry no image available
Posted by jonboy-191946 - 14 years ago

In terms of investment do you think the CdA will match or go ahead of UK percentage increases over the next decade or so?  I am thinking of the UK generally and not just the SE or other hotspots.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Admin-179828 - 14 years ago

wasabi smith: e-mails to you are bouncing. Go to the My Profile link on the main Forum menu bar while logged in and correct your address.-----
Forums Administrator
forums@angloinfo.com

Sorry no image available
Posted by gumboot-193095 - 14 years ago

For what its worth, I have never come across the antagonism towards the Anglos, that is often talked about.   I think its very much a case of "what you put out towards them, is what you get back".   and I think that most of the time we Anglos don't know when we are being slightly stand-offish ourselves.  I've lived in Southern England for years, and I find a lot more rudeness there.   But that's a whole other debate!

Sorry no image available
Posted by wasabi smith - 14 years ago

Hi,

Thnak you again for engaging replies. I too am considering buying a home on the cote but I would like some more unbiased, realistic replies like these (please none from the 'depopulate the cote' group, estate agents, other vested interests. I respect your viewpoint but no postings please).

I have the means to come. I have a vable international based profession that enbles me to be based pretty much anywhere I want. I have visted the cote for 20 years and I am considering basing myself here on a permanent basis (not a holiday home). I have fluent French and independent means.

One thing though. I have read from time to time the threads regarding tensions between some local thoughts toward anglos and it is an issue to me. It is also a shock. In my mind, France has always been my second home and I have travelled all over and worked from time to time. I have always found French people to be charming' polite and friendly. Even when I was in Paris. Is it really a deep rooted thing or just the kind of trivial, ignorant type of dislike/tension that I am sure some French people could meet in Britain from a very small minority. This is also the area of Momsiuer Jean-Marie Le Pen. I am not interested in a political debate about this but is the policy of his group anti-anglo in any means? Does it gain support from local people? I have never found this to be the case, just looking for impartial views/thoughts.

Thank you very much.

Sorry no image available
Posted by gumboot-193095 - 14 years ago

Interesting!   thanks for your views. 

GB