DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

To market, to market, to buy a fat pig!

Posted by szozu - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

6 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 6)

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 14 years ago

Well, after extensive research, the winner is--Rolser Plegmatic!

It folds up in seconds and unfolds just as easily into a full-size, sturdy shopping trolley. Storage space was an issue for me and this is absolutely perfect. It cost me 51 EUR at a droguerie in Cannes, but I expect to get a lot of use out of it, not just for the market, but also to haul several kilos of sheets and towels between home and my rental apartments.

I did the bulk of my research on-line and then was able to simply walk in and ask for the model I wanted: www.rolser.com

Lana

Sorry no image available
Posted by Ghene - 14 years ago

you better try it out first by walking around the shop to see how you feel. Because they are of different sizes, you don't want to bring one home that requires more effort because it is too short or too small. Also, make sure that it is of good quality for my first one just lost a wheel after 1 year of intensive use. Anyway, they range from 20 to 50€, some are fairly simple, others have wire casting, just canvas or plastic. My new one is of neon orange and see through that way i dont have to check my shopping list and I can see it if someone else is pulling it. Where you can find it: Carrefour(take 2busses), monoprix (1 ot 2 models only), Galleries Lafayette in Cap3000 (1bus ride) (different models and price range), You can even find some one the internet. Or if you think its complicated, some grocery stores deliver for free you shopping or just shop online its easier.Goodluck!!snowtiger

Sorry no image available
Posted by leslie-179832 - 14 years ago

Lana,

We did take the bus from antibes and then took a  taxi back with all of our loot. I know it is a pain, but take the train to Antibes as the bus picks up right outside the station on the rout d' Nice side, so not so terrible. No not the same as mono-prix, but Mono-prix looks nicer than mine, so I would go for it. Mine is hard all around becouse of the wire cage the bag sits in.

CB- Hmmmm, highly doubt it!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Crystal Balls-184435 - 14 years ago

I think you're highlighting one of the few reasons why women have men around.CB

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 14 years ago

Hi Leslie!

Yes, us ex-New Yorkers all seem to have a defective "driving gene." Do you happen to know if the type you have is the same kind they sell at Monoprix?

And next question is: So how did you get to Carrefour--did you walk? Actually, I know there's a bus that goes there from Antibes, but I don't think there's any way of getting there from Cannes, is there?

Lana

Sorry no image available
Posted by leslie-179832 - 14 years ago

Hi Lana.

I have had my trolly ( being of the non-driving sect!) since I moved here 3 years ago. I bought it at Carrefours and it is a fold up/collapsable(?) one. it is some kind of canvas material on a metal frame with hooks that keep the fabric in place. I love it and could not live with out it. You can really fill-er-up. With practice, you can get 2 weeks of groceries in it if you know how to load. Another good thing is when I am at the market I fill it up directly and never use a basket. I then un load ito nto the moving belt and re-load it into the cart. it is great for going to the MArche Provencal, but only in morings before the crowds, otherwise you bang into lots of people.

Good Luck!

leslie