DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Toshiba Technical Support

Posted by MSM2000UK-181816 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

Hi,

I have a Toshiba laptop which has developed a problem with the CDRW drive. I took it to a shop in Nice who 'apparently' got me a new drive, etc and said the problem was sorted.

Well, guess what? Within 3 months of it being fixed, its gone wrong again so i appeal to all those on the Riviera who have ever had any computer problems and have had to go to a shop to have the problem sorted out.

Please can someone give me the name of a shop between Monaco and Cannes, and also between Monaco and the Italian border, which repairs computers/laptops. I would go back to the shop in Nice but suprisingly, I dont trust them anymore!

Thanks

Max

Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tony Miller - 14 years ago

Hi Max

Ok lets eadl with the Bios go to Toshiba web site snd see what they have for your computer model, all you need is a clean formated floppy disc, if you one which has data on it, insert and format and put msdos on it just insert Floppy and do this with XP under my computer and right click A:drive,

As to you using update, sorry but you are only collecting critical updates, you have to visit the site for all other download,connect to the web open all program and look near the top and you will see windows update click it may want to install a checker just say yes and then a screen will ask you permission to scan and away you go, just chose what program updates you feel you need.

As for computer speed, go to all Programs/accessories/system tools and chose disc cleaner, click to run and ensure that only the 3rd and last box are unticked, now go back to All programs/accessories/system tools and now select system restore click next and you will see a calender on left with dates highlighted click the last date(highlighted)if it says system checkpoint(fine)ensure the last day is near to today, now chose cancel either top right (red cross) or cancel. do not push next, program will close, now reopen the disk cleaner when opened chose the tab more options and click clean up button next to system restore now push Ok and it will cleanup, now for the last step, go to system tools and select defragmentor run it by pushing the defrag button will take about 15-20 min to work.

Gain you will then have bois updated to latest, Microsoft programs updated to latest with security and program improvement, all files sorted and space cleaned so the machine will run much faster

Tony Miller

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

In my experience, loading anything to do with AOL onto a computer is recipe for disaster. Their browser software, which seems to be obligatory if you subscribe go them as an ISP, takes over everything and slows it down.

Sorry no image available
Posted by MSM2000UK-181816 - 14 years ago

Hi,

Mine also shuts down randomly but i think my problem is to do with AOL 8.0 and the fact that i still have AOL 7.0 installed as when i reboot, it tells me that something has gone wrong with the AOL files although this has only started happening recently.

I am also having problems with its speed. At first it seemed to be very fast but now i wonder whether a turtle could do certain jobs the computer does quicker.

Max

Sorry no image available

Hi,

I do receive updates for Windows and whenever i am told that there is a new one, i download it. I usually shy away from anything related to the BIOS because it looks too complicated!

Sorry no image available
Posted by Tony Miller - 14 years ago

Max

First Bios has nothing to do with your data on a computer, any computer should be checked with manufacters web site for at least 6 months after purchase to see what updates they have posted,http://www.toshiba.com  in the case of Microsoft if you are using ME,XP home or PRO you should be using windows update on a weekly basis for critical or recommeneded updates.

If you are using ME, XP just ensure that you have a system restore point set.

All these things are called good computer housekeeping

Tony Miller 

Tony Miller

Sorry no image available
Posted by miajl - 14 years ago

I also have  a Toshiba Satellite but with a different problem.  It has slowed down substantially and shuts off without warning even if it is fully charged.  It first started a week ago but has been happening more often now. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 14 years ago

Sorry - I'll try to be more helpfull !

This PC was proabably purchased through the Dixon Grp. or one of their outlets , and they have a dedicated product helpline ( I found them extremely forthcoming on a problem I had with a Videocamera , but was maybe lucky on finding someone who knew what they were talking about !).

The problem you have is almost certainly related to BIOS ( as already specified) and you will require an update package . The installation programme is complex if you aren't familiar with the specific procedure .You really need to identify what's required first ,as the risk of being messed around in an unknown shop ,if they aren't a Toshiba outlet , is already apparent.

stgeorge

Sorry no image available
Posted by Admin-179828 - 14 years ago

Indeed: please stay on-topic.-----
Forums Administrator
forums@angloinfo.com

Sorry no image available

You know whats really weird? I thought this was a posting set up by me to sort out my computer, not talk about WW2 and about people who dont want to accept technology.

If you have nothing to say regarding how to sort out a problem with Toshiba laptops, kindly keep it to yourself

Sorry no image available
Posted by stgeorge-182529 - 14 years ago

Actually - I know you're right , but I don't have any of the gear you mention and my approach to getting things repaired may differ somewhat from yours ! (I've been here longer !! ) But Good luck anyway !stgeorge