DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

totally panicking!

Posted by barbara-180189 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by GSnowdon - 13 years ago

If you a getting a DELL computer, you must make sure to keep all the packages and stuff. Especially if you intend to set up a WIFI connection.

Dell wifi card do not work with wanadoo modem! Also if you get a pocket pc with it Axiom5, beware and get your computer wiz friend to check out how to configure the dns, because it will connect but will nver work.

If you have problems connection or configuring a DELL computer, visit their forum. They give instructions on how to fix it. If you still can't fix anything, just call Dell and get them to change it.. they might insist on redoing the config 1000x but... after 10 times give them a loud and insistent shout.

--S

Sorry no image available
Posted by GSnowdon - 13 years ago

Hi Lana,

I am quite good with computers but switching keyboards is still complicated  coz you have to know where the letters are... scrambled letters.. ekkk... i prefer the scrambled eggs..

You must be a good secretary then!

--S

Sorry no image available
Posted by szozu - 13 years ago

I type French using a QUERTY keyboard, switching the settings to Portuguese--almost the same as UK or US settings--at least for the letters and numbers. For typing in French, instead of a key dedicated to accented letters as in the AZERTY KB, one forms them by hitting an accent key and then the corresponding letter. This works for everything except the letter "ï" (very rare in French), for which I temporarily switch to the Spanish KB. These are virtual keyboards and only practical if you are a touch typist and do not need to look at the keys. My husband's keyboard gave up the ghost and he asked me if I had a spare one, so I gave him a US keyboard. As he is not a touch typist, I taught him how to type using the Portuguese virtual KB and he is happy with that, even though he is French. You can load all the KBs you want by going into the Control Panel under "Keyboards." The greater problem is that all the messages for the operating system will be in French. If you are not already a computer guru, it's not always easy to understand.Lana

Sorry no image available
Posted by barbara-180189 - 13 years ago

Thanks everyone for the advice.   I am going to try and take it back tomorrow.     Love the machine, but computers are difficult enough without the language to contend with.   Thanks Christopher for your offer to help,  if FNAC wont take it back I will be straight on the email.

Sorry no image available
Posted by ChristopherL-188542 - 13 years ago

Hi Barbara - we've corresponded before getting your ADSL and WiFi connection sorted. 

While there is a lot of merit in hugging the tree and ordering everything in English, it just may be that your intended usage of the new laptop actually requires the French language software and AZERTY keyboard with accents.  I'm sure you thought of that aspect when you bought it. 

Albeit that the Sony Vaio Infinen is a wickedly nice machine, if you want to go back to QWERTY keyboard then you'd better exchange the machine for a UK or US model, otherwise if you want to keep it, e-mail me i you need help sorting the WiFi.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Humptydingo-180377 - 13 years ago

I agree - order online from Dell, France and choose English software and keyboard - brilliant, received within 10-15 days (they all come from Ireland !)  My only criticim would be that it arrived with an English plug on the monitor cord but I had an adapter - probably could have bought a cord with a french plug in my local computer shop/hypermarket.  They also have some fantastic offers each month i.e. free printer etc.  Good luck if you decide to return your current purchase.   Incidently your Wanadoo software for ADSL connection is always going to be in French what ever computer you buy

Sorry no image available
Sorry no image available
Posted by jivebaby-189615 - 13 years ago

Take it back!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry no image available
Posted by alex6961 - 13 years ago

DELL DELL DELL DELL

Sorry no image available
Posted by jjoepage - 13 years ago

Agnes is right!  I bought Dell.  I am so happy I could scream.  you could hear me too as I am in Valbonne also.  Anyway, if you have a specific problem for time to time, I'd be happy to pop over and attempt to help;  e-mail me.