DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

train into italy

Posted by gina-185295 - Created: 15 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Andrew.Wilk - 15 years ago

The covered market is great for fruit and veg, cheese and sausage, and in season plants like bouganvillea, but you'll need long arms to carry it all home. Parmesan is not particularly better priced than at Gusti Italiani branches in Nice and around.

The fashion goods spill out way down along to the sea front and my wife picked up terriffic bargains by the way of "rock-chick" clothes and accesories like bags covered in designer names.

Theres an African selling fake rolex's every 10 yards - some people find it fun to haggle, not personally.

For bargains in alcohol ignore those shops around the station and head on up over the river bridge towards the real town - theres a a little shop directly after you cross the bridge that is an alladins cave of cheap spirits.

The elderly with rail discount cards tend to swamp the Summer trains, and be warned the trains are not as frequent back as you might expect so check out the times to avoid a long wait and expect a real crush on some.

All said and done its a great day out.

Happy shopping

Andrew

Sorry no image available
Posted by jjrking - 15 years ago

Yep, don't go by car!  The fog can just descend on you and the other drivers are trying to end it all. Absolute nightmare (especially when you get the day of the market wrong . . .) My boyfriend has been and says it is fabuloso, so I am very much looking forward to returning on market day.

jo the nervous (jitter, jitter)

Joanna King

Sorry no image available
Posted by gina-185295 - 15 years ago

what sort of fake designer goods do they sell?gina b

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 15 years ago

...... and loads of fake designer goods,  the importation of which is illegal. 

Just a word of warning as the authorities do sometimes exercise the right to do border inspections.

Sorry no image available
Posted by lespalmiers - 15 years ago

Cabbie,

Use your initiative and wear a red carnation and announce it on AI, then potential admirers can spot you !!

Regards, Les

Sorry no image available
Posted by Cabbie-182008 - 15 years ago

Pleeease don't get the train which leaves Nice at 8.16am. It's the train I get to work and on Fridays I can never get a seat because of all the bargain hunters and tourists. Oh, and if you could avoid the 17.27 from Monaco in the evening.....

Sorry no image available

Thanks Wendy,

Loads and loads of leather, bizarre plastic goods and anchovies cheap !

What more could a man ask?

Definately on my list of things to do now . . . .

Regards, Les

Sorry no image available
Posted by wendy-179831 - 15 years ago

Les - Yup, great day out - open each Friday and starts at about 8:30, maybe 9:00 to sort of 3ish depending on the weather.

Randal - Apparently the San Remo market is way bigger... but Ventimiglia is more than big enough. And the bargains! (Although quality can be iffy, but so what... it's cheap!)

And Gina, you can park at Cagnes-sur-Mer station: nice, safe paid parking and the train trip to Vent is really pretty (don't go by car unless you're brave). There's loads of leather goods, particularly bags and shoes, but also jackets and coats and, and, and...!

Also lots of Italian food delicacies: parmesan, anchovies etc; kitchen ware, clothes and heaps and heaps of bizarre plastic junk - all really cheap.

Enjoy!

Sorry no image available

This Market sounds like a good day out, can anyone please tell me what days it is on and at what time it starts??

Regards, Les

Sorry no image available
Posted by RandalHemingway - 15 years ago

the market is the largest I've ever seen  - it takes about an hour from Nice so I guess add 10-15 minutes from Cagnes sur Nice. Dont know about leather goods but I picked up a pashmina for my girlfirend for 10 euros at new years that would have cost 10 times that amount in the the UK

go early if you can

Randal