DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

transferring mobile number to another network

Posted by dmcd-180624 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

Does any one know which mobile networks allow you to transfer your existing mobile number over to theirs?

I currently have a Bouygues contract that expires in 2 weeks. I want to get a new contract with another provider but need to keep my current number. If I take out a new contract with Bouyges they tell me that I must be issued with a new number and lose my old one...?

The new phone that I am looking at without a contact is 850 Euro and only 500 Euro with a contract - hence the problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance :)

Sorry no image available

10 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 10)

Sorry no image available
Posted by SammyT-194551 - 14 years ago

Hi MikeP-

How did you get to be so knowledgeable with French mobiles?  And my friend had caller ID on her phone from September until the beginning of this month - all of the sudden it just stopped working.  When I would call her before, my number would show up, and now, when anyone calls her, it says "aucun numero".

-Samantha

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

Hi Samantha

There are two things to be aware of here.

The first test is to ask someone to call your friend from another phone making sure that they have the 'send my own number' option set to 'yes'.  This just makes sure that the caller's number is being sent.

If your friend does not see the number,  this is because CLID (caller line ID) is an option on some networks which you have to pay for, or on some subscription types may not be available.  She will then have to check with her own network.  It would be unusual for it not to be available.

There is also a difference between 'number withheld' and 'no number'.  For example, on international calls,  the originating network may send the ID in a way that the receiving network cannot interpret, or not at all.

Sorry no image available

That's good news, thanks a lot MikeP!

How about this one - my friend just told me her caller ID has stopped working on the phone (it just shows up as "no number" any time someone tries to call her).  Does anyone have any idea why??

-Samantha

Sorry no image available
Posted by MikeP-180526 - 14 years ago

Samantha

Yes it will work.  If the phone is SIM locked (they usually are) it is locked to a specific network, not to a specific card. Therefore any card for the same network will work. 

The number 'belongs' to the SIM card, not the phone, so SIM card 'x' will always have the same number regardless of what handset you put it into.

Sorry no image available

Hi, I have another mobile-related question:

My boyfriend has wanted a flip-phone for years, but since he has SFR La Carte, we've never been able to afford one.  A friend who is moving back home is willing to sell me hers (also SFR La Carte), but I'm hesitant to buy it when I hear all of the problems with the companies. 

Does anyone know it will work if we take the SIM carte out of my boyfriend's phone and put it into her phone?  Will the mobile number stay the same?

Thanks,

Samantha

Sorry no image available
Posted by yjme-181229 - 14 years ago

Re prepaid contracts. I have it officially that you can keep your number with the prepaid contracts if you want to take out another contract(with France Telecom and Orange at least). I would imagine that this applies to other providers. If you stay with the same provider the process is much, mich quicker.

Just one other thing, if your French is good enough, you can do a little bit of bargaining, -especially with FT- over contracts for phones and internet deals.  They can make little exceptions to rules - it depends on who you get on the right day! No harm in trying!

Sorry no image available
Posted by legend_in_my_lunchtime-182603 - 14 years ago

Yep - it is as yjme says - you have to pass formally through the first stage I outlined (cancellation) which has to be done in the way that they describe in the time period they describe.

Also - your expectations straddle 2 areas which when combined are not necessarily yours by right.  Yes you can keep your number.  Yes you can have a subsidised phone with a new contract (read "commitment").  However - the operator gets to determine what is considered a new contract.  So you may be flogging a dead horse here.  However with 150 Euros/month expenditure they may be prepared to make the "geste commerciale" necessary to keep you.

Sorry no image available
Posted by dmcd-180624 - 14 years ago

Hi yjme - yes I do have points but they can only be used for certain phones and not any of the ones that I like unfortunately.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway. I didn't realise that I had to give them 2 months notice :( This is becoming just a bit too complicated...

dave

Sorry no image available
Posted by yjme-181229 - 14 years ago

dmcd

What contract have you got? I am with Bouygues and I took out an Option Fidelité (did you?) so I benefit from a point system (points de fidelité) that accumulates with each invoice you pay and at the end of each 12 months of being with them, you can choose a new telephone with Bouygues. You use your points and add money to buy a more expensive model if you wish. You can change your phone every year as long as you select one of the models in their catalogue which has quite a large selection of up to date stuff. 

Click here to take you to Bouygues, and click on 'changer ma telephone' and follow instructions, just in case you see the same model you are after? Just a suggestion of course and you may not have the right contract.

If you have given the obligatory two months notice to cancel your contract at the end of the annual term, in order to keep your number, you do as LIML says - you send a recorded delivery letter to Bouygues cancelling the contract and asking to keep your present number and they will then send you the bon de portage which you present to your new operator.

If you haven't, by any chance, given in your notice to cancel  your contract, which are usually automatically renewed every year unless notice is given by you in writing, the only way you can get out of it is if you have moved to an area that doesn't receive a good signal (I had this experience), you are made redundant or are declared bankrupt (after six months into the contract) or if you move to another country or if your last operator didn't let you have the same number telephone. Please don't think I am assuming you haven't done this by the way....or you may have taken out a fixed term contract, I don't know :o)

Sorry no image available
Posted by jrc71 - 14 years ago

Does this equally apply to prepaid non-contract phones.

I have a prepaid bouygues phone and at some point in the near future would like to take out a contract. I want to keep my current number and would like to know whether the law applies to prepaids as well as contract phones.