DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Translation of Birth Certificate

Posted by Johnboy-194373 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0

I've recently started work for a french company in Sophia and in order to fully register for the sécurité sociale i believe that i need an official translation of my birth certificate.

Can anybody please recommend a translator and maybe give me an idea of the 'going rate' to get this done.

Many thanks,

John

Sorry no image available

8 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 8)

Sorry no image available
Posted by rbailey - 13 years ago

I had to have my birth certificate translated and received excellent help from Marc Moser, a professor at U. of Nice. He speaks several languages well and is an officially approved translator. He can be contacted at 04 93 96 76 54.

Sorry no image available
Posted by tkw - 13 years ago

40 is not bad for a professional translator, I had 2 of them suggest 80euros.

However, if you have an embassy in Nice the going rate there is only 20euros.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Johnboy-194373 - 13 years ago

I found out yesterday evening that a translation is necessary, so contacting suitable translators is the next step. The Mairie have given me a few and i've called the one in Grasse, 40 euros seems to be the asking price.

Anyone do it cheaper!?

Many thanks,

John

ps Pervinca, sorry to hear about the rather torrid time you had..

Sorry no image available
Posted by Pervinca - 13 years ago

Hello

I didn't have to translate mine in Nice, but I had  terrib le hassle with them because they said I had to prove who my parents were since it wasn't on my birth  certificate!   Both my parents are dead & in desperation & practically in tears  I took them a photograph of the grav e with their names on it but this didn't prove anything, they said (I also have an unusual surname).  I eventually found out such a certificate exists in a central office in London & one of my nieces who works in London managed to get me a copy. Anybody else had this experience?  At the time I felt a bout of paranoia coming on, it felt like some kind of persecution....

Sorry no image available
Posted by Johnboy-194373 - 13 years ago

Thanks for your replies, i'll double check whether it actually needs translating and if so i'll try the Mairie and the chap in Grasse.

Thanks again,

John

Sorry no image available
Posted by poolman-188953 - 13 years ago

Are you sure that you need a translation of your birth certificate.  Is the original english?  We have registered for the french sociale system and only supplied a copy of our english birth certificates - no problems with that part of it.  Do not supply them with your original as you won't get them back and they have a habit of losing whatever you send them (they lost ours three times even though I handed them in to the office personally). If in doubt what they want ask someone at the social office because all the books you read say different things are required.  ChrisHautVar

Sorry no image available
Posted by alx-189416 - 13 years ago

My husband got a translation of his birth certificate done when we got married, our marie gave us a whole list of approved translators in our area and we just picked the closest one. So perhaps ask your mairie?

Sorry no image available
Posted by MartinS-188518 - 13 years ago

I use this guy in Grasse: speaks good english and very friendly. I think you should budget about 25 Euros for a birth certificate.

Caravéo Henry résid Paradis Roc bât C chem St Christophe 06130 GRASSE | Plan/Itinéraire    04 93 36 51 48
fax : 04 93 40 04 90