DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Transport of computer UK -&gt1; France.

Posted by CORNISH-181280 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0

What is the best way to have a computer (PC,flat screen and keyboard) sent from UK,has anybody done this as a one off and also what was approx price ?

SIMON

Sorry no image available

5 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 5)

Sorry no image available
Posted by Pumuckel - 14 years ago

Fully agree with Zeynep - I also have used DHL many times for shipping PC equipment from the UK to France and their service has been excellent. I have also used BA regular flights from London -> France. I never paid for excess luggage, I just checked the PC equipemnt in at the check-in desk together with my suitcase, and had no problems getting in through customs at Nice airport, on the contrary if you arrive on a late evening flight customs are not checking anyone or anything - well, just my experience. You can also ask you household insurance here in France if they will insure the transport of your PC from the UK to France - some companies insure it at no extra cost, you just have to let them know the date of the transfer, list of goods, and the shipping company (airline, currier service, etc.)

Good luck!

Pumuckel

Sorry no image available
Posted by Zeynep-183200 - 14 years ago

The way I did it when I moved (and this is apparently the cheapest way as you avoid customs duties) was to DHL it with the note "Sending back the possessions of a visitor that he forgot in his stay here".

Regards,

Zeynep

Sorry no image available
Posted by mike-179830 - 14 years ago

Yep, if you've got the original packaging then carrying PCs as baggage is fine - I've done it often. Couriers can also do the job, of course.

If you don't have the original packaging it might be as well to get some that's a close as possible in dimensions from your friendly local computer supplier.

Mike

Sorry no image available
Posted by CORNISH-181280 - 14 years ago

I had thought of this but thought price/safety maybe a no goer but as I am flying to Bristol next w/e I will ask as I know the weights.

Thanks,Simon. 

SIMON

Sorry no image available
Posted by NigelB-181158 - 14 years ago

No screen but I have shipped the rest of a PC packed in its original packaging as hold luggage on Easyjet. I had to pay a few quid in excess baggage as my suitcase was already full of bacon & sausages:-) The PC arrived safe & sound.