DISCUSSIONS

Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.

REGISTER NOW

Travel by rail from Nice airport?

Posted by Kathryn-192632 - Created: 14 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

9 replies (Showing replies: 1 to 9)

Sorry no image available
Posted by tkw - 14 years ago

I had a long wait for the train the other day...so I walked from Nice-St.Augustin to the airport to St. Laurent du Var, the footpaths to latter were of poor quality, I wouldn't want to try rolling a suitcase along that way.

I will definately stick to Nice-St.Augustin train station instead, nice smooth sidewalks, less traffic, and quick access to the T1/T2 shuttle bus.

Thomas

Sorry no image available
Posted by bones-182916 - 14 years ago

Walking from St Augustin station, just after the main entrance to the college on the corner, there is a bus stop for the airport shuttle bus which runs about every 10 mins between T1 and T2.And it's free!

Sorry no image available
Posted by paulspencer - 14 years ago

I don't think there is a really good footpath. We have looked, but you really need to cross to the car hire places, follow the car route out and cross the bridge on the footpath by the road. A footpath across the Var without having to do this would be great, but I guess adding an airport entrance would be seen as a security risk (and might mean fewer people use taxis, and we can't have that ...).

Sorry no image available

Interesting. Is there a decent footpath across the bridge and down to T2?

Sorry no image available
Posted by paulspencer - 14 years ago

Others have mentioned Nice St Augustin. This is certainly best for T1, but now we usually fly into T2 on easyJet, we think St Laurent du Var is closer.

Sorry no image available
Posted by Collie21 - 14 years ago

In fact the 23 bus from the main station in nice will cost you €1.30 and takes about 20mins. Done it loads of time. It drops you off at terminal 1.hey does that wall have a crack in it?

Sorry no image available

In addition to the walking directions I posted previously to the train, I'd like to point out that if you arrive at Nice airport after 10pm there aren't any buses to anywhere, however the last train leaves Nice St.Augustin station just after midnight.

Oh yeah or you could take a taxi for at least 50euros.

grrr, Thomas

Sorry no image available

Nice St. Augustin is the closest train station to the airport and also the cheapest way to get to the airport, but you have to be willing to walk for 10 minutes. Most regional trains stop and Nice St. Augustin, but some of the trains from further away do not.

When you exit the station go down the hill to the left and cross all the wide roads underneath the voie rapide (elevated express road). Then take a right and you have a long wide smooth sidewalk and bike path to follow with a metal fence on your left. Take your first left in front of the huge Lycee de Hotel and Tourism and you will see the airport in front of you. You can get on the airport shuttle bus in front of this Lycee to go to Terminal 2 but for Terminal 1 it is faster to just keep walking straight ahead, around the roundabout, and take the underpass to P2/P3 there it is.

I have done this several time with a single rollable bag and a backpack, but anything more than this becomes unmanageable.

I find maps of the airport area confusing so try my directions and if you come in on the train from the Antibes side and keep your eyes glued toward the sea after you cross the big bridge over the Var river, you will see the airport buildings and the directions will become obvious.

There is plenty of good bus connections with the aeroport but the cost is higher. You can take a direct bus 99 from Nice Ville gare (the main Nice train station) 3.50euros. Or the incredibly slow Bus 200 from Antibes for a ridiculous 8euros. Or a direct bus from Cannes, Sophia, etc...

good luck, Thomas

Sorry no image available
Posted by cleo-185556 - 14 years ago

Hi Kathryn,

The nearest station would be Nice St. Augustin - I've never gone from there to the airport though so I'm not sure whether its walkable.