Find the answers to many of your expat questions here

View Latest Posts

You're missing out...

As a member you can enjoy exclusive info and offers.


Travel Insurance

Posted by Zingano-186230 - Created: 13 years ago
0 0
Sorry no image available

1 reply

Sorry no image available
Posted by No.6 - 13 years ago

If your camera gear is on the expensive side, beware the small print in standard travel insurance policies: they don't leave much by way of refund after 'standard' deductions for depreciation + policy excess.  Worse, they may exclude any claims for equipment older than 2yrs, and/or when travelling in certain 'riskier' countries (e.g. Greece, Italy) and/or theft from cars.

Here's an on-line deal that looks pretty good at first glance, despite the 10%/minimum €50 excess quoted: http://www.elvia-online.com/produits/solution-loisir.html - they're part of the Mondial Assistance group.  Worth comparing other policies with, I would say.

But first, check out your existing home contents policy (assurance habitation) - some have all-risks sections for high-end valuables, either already included or as an add-on option. 

If in doubt, speak to your home insurance broker and/or travel agent.

In any event, do ensure you have a copy of the original invoice(s) (and maybe even a snapshot of your camera equipment [difficult to achieve, perhaps?! :-)]), safely stored somewhere, should you unfortunately have to make a claim.

Hope this helps.